IX

Josh resisted the ruge to bust into the bathroom and strangle Tyler until his face turned purple, but he only grumbled death threats under his breath and slipped on a pair of boxers and a shirt. Tyler took excruciatingly long in the shower for someone who acted so punctual.

Before he could yell at Tyler to hurry up, someone knocked on the hotel door. Josh froze and stood up, walking slowly to the door. The banging persisted without break, which didn't ease Josh's nerves. He looked through the peephole to see two men in suits, one with a beard looking down the hall and the other banging mercilessly on the door.

"Uh, Tyler?" Josh called out. "Did you order room service?"

The shower abruptly ended and the door to the bathroom swung open. Tyler, his hair still covered in soap and water pooling around his feet, motioned Josh to move from the door. He stood on his toes to look through the peephole, and he stumbled back. A look of terror Josh had never seen on Tyler's face gave Josh the answer he was looking for.

The two men began to speak in what definitely wasn't the native language, calling out to them in taunting voices. Tyler gripped the towel around his waist tightly and looked around frantically.

"Josh, there's a gun in the inside pocket of my duffel bag. I'll open the door and you hide behind it with the gun ready. In case something happens, there's a list in my pant pockets of people who will help you get out of the country unnoticed. Understand?"

Josh blinked. "I- I don't- what?"

"Do you understand, Soldier?" Tyler's voice turned cold, and Josh ran for the gun and list.

He stood behind the door, holding the gun at an angle so the barrel was aiming at the closest man's head. Tyler took a deep breath and slid the chain out of the slot. Immediately, the door busted from its hinges and the bearded man drew his gun.

Before he had the chance fire, Tyler hit his wrist and knocked the gun to the ground. The second man rushed in and grabbed Tyler by the throat. Josh fired, missing the man's head by an inch. The bearded man tackled him into the mirror behind him, the glass shattering.

Sharp pains spread through his entire back, stunning Josh long enough for the man to land a solid punch in his gut. He blocked the next blow, whacking the man over the head with the barrel of his gun. The man stumbled back, his eyes narrowing as he dropped for his gun.

Josh grabbed a shard of glass from the broken mirror and stabbed the man's hand. He howled in pain and Josh kicked him in the chest, the footboard of the bed cracking under his weight. Another shot rang through the hotel room, followed by an animalistic grunt, and Tyler pushed the other man out of the window which, to the man's dismay, had no safety railings. It was just a seven foot drop to the ground below.

Tyler clutched his side and laughed, turning to look at Josh. As soon as he made eye contact with Josh, his smile dropped to a pained expression and his knees gave way. Josh grabbed him and helped him to the floor, blood already making its way through Tyler's towel. The bullet hit just above his hipbone, probably not hitting anything vital, but the bleeding was what worries him.

"Hang on, I'll try to stabilize you," Josh said, ripping the bottom of his shirt and folding it into a tight bundle of cloth. He pressed it against Tyler's wound, and Tyler hissed in discomfort. "Keep pressure there to stop the bleeding."

Tyler relaxed Josh's hand and flashed him a blood stained grin. "This isn't my first rodeo, Josh."

He was losing way too much blood, Josh he could hear the bearded guy shift and groan. Seeing no other option, Josh pulled his belt out of his pants and tied it around Tyler's waist, tightening it so his shirt bundle stayed in place.