Yellow Cake and a Rose Chapter 4 [boyxboy]

Chapter 4

"Woah. What just happened," Emery laughs at Will's beet red cheeks. Will glares at me and I don't say anything, just stand there, shocked at my own action. Annabelle's mouth has formed into a little 'o' shape in surprise.

"Umm, okay, let's go to the, ah, park!" I finally break the silence and charge towards the grassy field of San Alejon.

Soon after I hear footsteps following me.

"Oh look, the duckies!" Emery cries out elatedly. I whip my head 'round to see what he's talking about.

Indeed there are "duckies" swimming around in the pond. The pond itself is a murky dark green color, which grosses me out since the poor ducks are swimming in it. One duck puts his or her head below the surface of the water and its butt points upward to the sky. I laugh at the uncommon sight, causing Emery and Annabelle to look at me strangely.

"Nothing, it's nothing," I say, wiping the tears out of my eyes.

Meanwhile, Will is humming a song that seems familiar. I lean closer, about next to his ear, and focus. It's Dear Vienna by Owl City.

Gah! That wimp likes Owl City-I'm not one bit surprised.

Of course you aren't. He's a sensitive, adorable little boy.

Ahh, shut up and let me think my hateful thoughts, conscience.

How can I when I am part of your thoughts, Khyber?

What?

Mwahahah I have confused you to the point of extinction.

What the hell was the previous sentence about?

What?

I don't get you.

You can't not get me. I'm your freaking conscience for Pete's sake.

Who's Pete?

You know, you could be sent to a mental ward for talking to yourself inside your head?

Not really. Everyone does it sometimes.

Yes, but you do it all the time!

True, very true.

"What are you two lovebirds doing?" Annabelle jumps on top of me. I scream in fake fear.

"You scared the shit outta me, man!" I bring my hand to my heart, as if she has stabbed it. She smirks and pulls me up and towards a picnic table. Emery starts talking to Will.

"Are you going to the dance?" The brown haired monster asks maliciously. I shrug.

"I don't know. What's the theme anyway?"

"I guess Christmas-ey-ish?" Annabelle doesn't really have a good idea about it either.

"Formal, semi-formal or casual?"

"I think it's casual," she answers.

"We'll see when we get to school."

"Mhm," I am dragged back to where Emery and Will are sitting.

"So how old are you?" Emery asks Annabelle and me.

"Senior!"

"Ditto," I say after my best friend's loud outburst.

"Woah you guys are old, and Will is a baby!" Emery cries joyously. "Will's a freshmeat!"

Will sends him a cross look. "Well you're a sophomore. You're only one year older than me."