Yellow Cake and a Rose Chapter 3 [boyxboy]

Chapter 3

Alone at last, we can sit and fight

And I've lost all faith in this blurring light

But stay right here we can change our plight

We're storming through this despite what's-

"Hi," I say blindly into the speaker of my cell phone.

"Khyber, wake up. It's past 10:00 a.m. in the morning you lazy bum of a cutie!" Annabelle sings loudly to wake me up.

"You woke me up just for this?" I ask, shaking my disheveled hair out.

"Well, duh, I need someone to hang out with," Annabelle replies.

"I hate you....where do you want to hang out this time?"

"Around San Alejon Park, maybe? Or you can just come to my house and we'll go together," she says hopefully. Obviously, she sounds like she wants me at her house so I do just that.

I click on my remote control and my closet opens automatically. My rack of clothes keeps spinning until I see something I haven't worn in a while and click another button. A baseball cap, a grey sweater, and acid wash tight pants are chosen for today's outfit.

~

~

~

"I'm here!" I yell at Annabelle's door. Her parents don't mind me, they're very laid back people and enjoy my company. What can I say, I'm near perfect!

"Hi Khyber," Mrs. Turner greeted. I smiled and waved like the good boy I am.

"Good morning Mrs. Turner. Where's Annabelle?" I ask politely.

"She's upstairs in her room. ANNABELLE!" Mrs. Turner yells, then grins at me goofily.

"Coming!" Annabelle shouts. Milliseconds later, she's downstairs with a knapsack on her shoulder. She's wearing an old t-shirt that's got a few holes in it, a gray plaid skirt, salmon pink tights and combat boots. Mrs. Turner sighs at the sight of her but tells us to "shoo, shoo."

It's funny. Annabelle used to make no fashion statements at all. In middle school, she was a goody two shoes type of girl, always wearing nothing more attention-grabbing then baggy sweatshirts, flare jeans, and sneakers of some sort. Then when high school came, BAM! Everyone was shocked by how much she had changed. I mean, just look at her now and her seventh grade photo. You won't believe that it's the same person.

"No piercings today?" I ask as we cross the street after looking out for cars. She shakes her head.

"Too much showy stuff is not good," she says. Despite her outrageous outfits, Annabelle knows what's classy and what's just crap clashed together. It's what I like about her.

"So why did you wanna go to the park today anyways?" I wonder out loud. Usually on Sundays, she doesn't like getting out of the house much.

"The last time I went was like, freshman year. That means I haven't been there in nearly two years," she counts off the years on her slim, smooth fingers.

"Oh. The last time I went was.....let me see....a few months ago. My cousin had a birthday party there," I say, shrugging it off. We turn a corner and see Will and another guy. They're talking and laughing, which probably means they're boyfriends or at least really good friends. It annoyed me a little, to be honest.

Why should I be annoyed? I don't even know this guy. Besides, it's not like I like him or anything.

Yeah you do.