Chapter 24

Dillon

"Are you okay," I asked Mandi.

"Perfectly fine now," she sighed washing her mouth out with water. "I kind of have a bad headache, but other than that I am perfectly okay."

"Are you sure," I asked uncertainly.

"I'm fine," she reassured me. "I just need some Tylenol and I'll be ready to go to sleep."

"So it was only because of your morning sickness that you puked, right?"

"I think so," she answered. "Why are you asking me all these questions?"

"I don't know," I said. "I'm just worried about you is all. You can go lie down and I'll get you some Tylenol, okay?"

"You don't have to do that since I am perfectly capable of getting it myself," Mandi told me. She reached up and got the Tylenol out of the cupboard. "See, I didn't die or even hurt myself."

"Okay, Queen of Sarcasm," I laughed.

"Tell me something I don't already know," she smiled back at me.

"Come on," I said, "it's time that you get back onto the couch or in your bed."

"I don't want to go back, it's too boring," she complained.

"I know," I told her while I scooped her up into my arms, "but you have to for your baby's sake."

"Dillon, put me down," she shrieked.

"Nope, next stop: the couch," I laughed and carried her to the couch.

"Dillon, don't you set me down on there; I will slap you," Mandi shouted.

"Oh, I'm so scared," I said while faking to be terrified. "Please don't hurt me, I'll do anything you say."

"Shut up," Mandi grumbled.

"No need to be so mad, I'm just teasing you," I told her. "Do you want to stay on the couch or go to your room?"

"I'm fine right here thank you very much," she glared at me.

"Mandi, I'm just trying to help you not trying to make you mad," I tried explaining to her, but she wouldn't help but listen to me.

"Trying to help," she asked rhetorically. "Dillon, at this point I really don't care. I'm not going to lie in bed all week, I have barely lasted through a day of it."

"Don't talk like that," I said. "You know that you'd be crushed if you lost that baby. I know that it must suck, but at least it'll keep you and your baby safe."

Mandi didn't have to say anything since the glare she was giving me said it all.

"Mandi, I'm home," Mrs. Williams said while walking in through the front door.

"Finally," Mandi said exasperatedly. "Can I please be done with the bed rest?"

"Has she been complaining all day," Mrs. Williams asked me.

"Pretty much," I answered.

"Don't act like I'm not here," Mandi practically shouted. "Now, can I please be done with the stupid bed rest?"

"Don't worry, I have some good news for you, and I'll tell you as soon as you calm down," Mrs. Williams told Mandi.

"Just tell me," Mandi begged.

"All right, when I was working Dr. Bradshaw came to talk to me," Mrs. Williams said. "Before you freak out, she told me good news. She said that she had been looking over your test results and talking to the ultrasound technician about the baby's condition. She explained to me that she doesn't see any point of you being on bed rest. Before you get too excited, though, she does want you to go in for a check-up and take it easy for a few days."