Chapter 1

Mandi

"Honey, is that you," my mom called as I walked into my house.

"Yes, mom, it's me," I called back to her. 

"Oh, honey, how was it?"

"It was pretty good, but I don't feel that great. I'm just going to go lie down for a while and see if that helps," I answered. 

"Oh, what's wrong," my mom asked me. 

She was worried; I had to say something that would calm her down.

"I'm fine, it's just that I'm really tired," I said reassuringly to her. 

"Oh, okay; do you want some cookies? They're chocolate chip and just barely came out of the oven."

"Maybe later," I told her. 

"Okay, that works," she replied. "Now, you just go and rest," she said giving me a hug. I walked to my room and changed into pajamas. I had just gotten home from summer camp. I had been gone for most of the summer, and now there was only two weeks left before school started. I laid down on my bed, and tried to relax to see if that would help me feel any better. The truth was that I was sick to my stomach, not "just tired". Maybe I caught something at the camp and I just didn't know for sure yet. I was kind of worried since I had never felt the way I was feeling before. I soon fell asleep, but it didn't last long because I had a nightmare. In the horrible dream I was running away from a man that was chasing and screaming at me that he was going to get me. All of a sudden I feel to the ground and the man grabbed me. After that was when I woke up screaming and my mom came rushing into the room. 

"What's wrong, honey," she asked. "Why were you screaming?" 

I didn't even have time to answer her before I was running to the bathroom to throw up. She ran in after me and held my hair back. When I was done she felt my forehead to see if I had a temperature. 

"Do you still feel sick," she asked. 

"Well, obviously it's more than a feeling," I said somewhat ornery. 

"Well, you don't feel hot," she said in a thinking tone of voice. "Maybe we should take you to the hospital to get checked out."

"No, I'm fine; I just need some more sleep."

"Oh, all right you go lie down and I'll bring you some soup."

"No, I don't want any," I told her. Just thinking about eating made me want to throw up. 

"You need to eat, though," my mom told me sternly.

"Maybe later, I just want to sleep right now."

"Okay, just go lie down and we'll see how you're feeling in a little bit."

"K, I will," I said. I went and laid back down in my bed. I still felt sick to my stomach as I fell back asleep. I ended up not having a second nightmare, thank God. 

When I woke up it was to a faint knock on my bedroom door. 

"Hey, are you awake," my mom asked from the other side of the door. 

"Yeah, come in," I said sitting up. 

"How are you feeling," she asked me. 

"The same as earlier," I answered.