Envious: Daichi Sawamura x Reader (Haikyuu!!)

Being a three-time Miyagi Prefecture Representative at the Japan National Basketball Tournament, and girlfriend of Daichi Sawamura can be difficult sometimes.

*Flashback, First Year, Miyagi Gym

"Go, [Reader's Name]! You can do it!" Daichi's loud voice roars over the cheering crowd. 

Only ten seconds left and Karasuno is only two points behind. The basketball is in my hands, the rest of my team and the opposing team trailing after me as I dribble the ball down the court.  

My blood is pumping quickly, the adrenaline rush fueling my legs to run faster. With Daichi as an extra boost of motivation, I decide to stop at the three-point line instead of taking the few extra steps for a lay-up, and release the ball from my hand. 

The entire crowd watches from the edge of their seats, as the ball soars gracefully through the hair despite the heavy burden it holds. It bounces on the rim before slowly taking a lap around...until it lands inside the basket with a satisfying swoosh! 

Right on time, the buzzer blares the loudest I have ever heard it, signaling the end of the game. The crowd goes wild—everyone on the Karasuno side of the gym cheering their loudest at our victory. I can only stare at the basket I just made, still trembling at the sound of the ball passing through the net. 

Before I know it, I am smushed in-between a crowd of sweaty members of the Karasuno's Girls Basketball Team as we cheer and cry together. This is the first time this team has ever won the Miyagi Prefecture Tournament, now moving on to Nationals. 

I see Daichi standing a few feet away with a large grin on his face as he watches this mess unfold. I somehow manage to get away from the girls and run to Daichi's open arms that capture me in a tight embrace, rocking us both back and forth. 

"Congratulations, [Reader's Name]." he says into my ear, as I sob tears of joy into his chest, my hands holding onto his black jacket tightly. 

"It's going to be your turn next, right?" 

Daichi gives me another one of his award-winning smiles and laughs, "You bet!" 

However, things don't always go as planned. I would go to every one of Daichi's volleyball games and cheer as much as I could for the Karasuno Boys' Volleyball Team, but they would always fall short of qualifying. 

I solemnly walk to Daichi, feeling the guilt of the pressure I put on him when I told him we would both go to Nationals for our respective sports. He doesn't look up at me and continues to cry along with the other first-years, Asahi and Koushi. 

I engulf the three of them in one big hug, seeing as though I have gotten to know the other two just as well as Daichi. I could feel the waves of pain radiating from all three of them, more so than the upperclassmen who have already accepted their early defeat. 

"It's okay, you guys. There is always next year. Remember the pain of losing and turn it into motivation to practice harder, okay?" I try to soothe their pain. Each of them nod, their eyes still red from crying. 

"We will!" they loudly shout with determination, their eyes still watery from their loss, but I could tell they are now even more motivated to practice harder. Those extra hours they put in after practice will definitely show one day, I just know it. 

Yet, the time wasn't right even after all their hard work, and the addition of a few more powerful first-years. It still wasn't enough.