Going Unnoticed: Kakashi Hatake x Reader (Naruto)

My bedroom is dark, peeks of light leaking from the closed curtains being the only source of light. The only sound that could be heard is the sharp ticking of the clock, informing me of each second I lose from staying in bed. 

I look around confused, how did I get here? I don't remember going home, I was on a mission, but then something happened. But, what is it that happened? I rack my brain to think and clear up this confusion, but the more I try, the greater my headache becomes. 

Seeing as though I am already in my ninja gear, I walk out of my apartment and jump from the railing and onto the ground. It is much easier than taking the stairs. 

I wander around town aimlessly for a few minutes, occasionally looking into a few interesting shops. Luckily, the streets are clear so I did not have to come in contact with anybody. 

That is, until I see Kakashi, my long-time friend and the man that has unknowingly stolen my heart since the day I first met him. 

I grin mischievously to myself. One of my favorite pastimes is to stalk—wait no, that's not the right way to put it—follow Kakashi around without him knowing. It is always good practice for stealth, but Kakashi always catches me halfway through the day. 

I haven't done this in quite a long time, maybe a year at the very least. This is the perfect opportunity to practice! 

I hide behind a pole as he turns around before walking to his destination again. I make sure to mask my presence by hiding my chakra before stealthily following him from behind until he reaches the Yamanaka Flower Shop. 

Peeking through the window, I see him buy a bouquet Chrysanthemums and a single rose. Ino Yamanaka at the cash register gives him a look of remorse before waving away his money. I see him walking towards the exit so I hide behind the building. 

I do not need to stalk him to know his destination. Everyone in Konoha knows where Kakashi is headed if they see him holding a bouquet. It isn't long before we reach the Third Training Ground where the KIA stone is located. 

I jump onto a tree for a better vantage point. I see Kakashi put down the bouquet at the base before putting his hands together in a prayer. I follow suit, might as well if I am already here. My friends have also been on the KIA stone for quite a few years now. I don't visit as often as Kakashi, but I do once in awhile. 

There is not much to do for the next few hours, except watch Kakashi sit at the stone in silence, reading his Make-out series. Occasionally, he would look up at a certain name and place his fingers over it. I try to squint and see who exactly he's mourning for at this moment, but I'm too far away and I can't risk getting caught.  

I have seen him at the KIA stone before and he would normally talk about his day. Sometimes, he would take a glance at several names, but this time, his eyes holds much more sadness than usual. It must be because it is getting closer to Rin and Obito's death anniversary. 

He doesn't get up from his position until the stars and moon glitter brightly in the sky. I don't move from my spot the entire time, instead, choosing to take a light nap and enjoy nature. I would do this when Kakashi takes forever to show up to our meeting spots anyways, so this is pretty typical, for me at least.

There is nothing too interesting about Kakashi today unfortunately. After leaving the KIA stone, he goes home and heads to his bedroom without even eating dinner. From what I can see, he knocks out once his head hits his pillow. 

I huff at how boring his life is and return to my own home. 

I repeat this routine for the next couple of days, but Kakashi's actions are just as repetitive as mine. He gets up in the morning, spends time to freshen up, eats a bit of breakfast, buys a bouquet of flowers, and then spends the rest of his day at the KIA stone. 

It is not until the fifth day of stalk—I mean, following— him do I see something different. 

For the first time since the death of Obito and Rin, I see a drop of tears fall from Kakashi's eyes, then a sniffle before the second drop falls. Then another, and another, until streaks of tears are evident on his cheeks and he screams in frustration. Okay, now this is just weird; Kakashi never loses his cool like this. 

I couldn't stand seeing him suffer alone like this so I jump down from my hiding spot to console the poor man. 

"Kakashi!" I call out to him a couple meters away. 

"[Reader's Name]..." Kakashi mutters back.

"Kakashi, what's wrong?" I ask as I begin to walk closer to him, but he doesn't look up. 

"[Reader's Name]." he just repeats again and again. 

I furrow my brow in confusion. Why isn't he saying anything else but my name?

"Kakashi, I'm right here, so please tell me what's going on. You're scaring me." I'm right in front of him as I say this. Yet, he still refuses to look up. If this is payback for following him around for the past couple days, then I'm going to murder him.

"[Reader's Name]...why did you leave?" Kakashi asks.

"What do you mean, Kakashi? I'm right here." I tell him.

"For some reason, I feel like you've been here with me these past couple of days. But I can't see you." Kakashi chuckles sadly before continuing, "That's right... you can't be here because you're gone." 

At this point, I am frustrated by his words. What does he mean? I am right in front of him! I reach out to shake is shoulders to snap him out of it, but my hands just go through him. What's going on here? Why can't I touch him anymore? 

I try over and over again, but to no avail. 

Then, Kakashi finally looks up. But he doesn't look at me, he stares at a single name on the KIA stone. I follow his line of vision and freeze at the name written on the slap of rock: [Reader's First and Last Name]  

It can't be, I'm right here! 

"[Reader's Name], I wasn't able to tell you before you died, or even after. But I feel like you're here with me right now, the closest you've ever been these few days so I'm hoping it really is you and not my imagination. I've always wanted to tell you: I'm in with love you." Kakashi says to the stone, his unwavering eyes still staring at my name. 

I cover my mouth in shock as tears begin to rapidly fall from my eyes as realization dawns upon me.

This is why I couldn't remember how I got inside my house... this is why Kakashi hasn't noticed my appearance even though he's normally able to pinpoint my presence when I follow him around... this is why Kakashi hasn't been eating or meeting with Team 7 these past few days...

The new letters etched carefully on the stone. The name that Kakashi so gingerly brushed his fingertips on were mine: [Reader's Name]

It's because I'm dead. I no longer belong in the same world as Kakashi. 

Kakashi gets up after wiping away his tears, both of his hands clenched in a fist. 

"Only when you're gone, do I realize how much I miss you and that I should've spent more time with you like this everyday. I'll see you here tomorrow, again." 

A/N: If you like this one shot, I would really appreciate it if you would please give it a vote and/or comment! I love hearing from you guys! Also, I'm open to requests! If you're interested, please take a look at the description for more info!