17. Dates on the Lake

Haven- 17

"pictures of you, pictures of me hung upon your wall for the world to see. pictures of you, pictures of me, remind us all of what we used to be..."

Ella.

        I'd seen Harry drive before; I'd been in Harry's car before at that. But never, in my life, had I been so enthralled by someone's movements as they took control of the wheel.

        I sat back into the soft leather of Harry's SUV, watching openly at the way he'd lean in slightly to look at his side mirrors when he had to make a calculating turn, or when he'd squeeze the wheel just that much tighter when he came to a stop. Even when he went to change the music on the radio, his fingers itched for a few moments, hovering above the dial before he finally turned it. They all looked to be subconscious things, things he didn't really realize he was doing, and I loved them.

        When he spoke to me on the drive to the unknown destination-- unknown mostly because I was too busy watching him rather than the streets-- I watched his lips closely. Being in this small, encased space gave me an excuse to breathe in his defined smell candidly, and get lost in the way his lips curved around the words let free. His scent was an aphrodisiac, he was an aphrodisiac.

        I'd noticed it many times before-- his way of making me feel like everything he said, every word he spoke, was just for me. It was a gift he attained, and a damn good one at that. I wondered if everyone he spoke to thought this.

        His tongue licked over the outside of his lips often, something I had just now realized he did quite a lot when he was talking to me. On other people, it may have been that of a nervous habit, but on Harry it just looked good.

        I still didn't know where we were driving, and I found that I didn't care. I was fine, comfortable, but dangerously close to being on the edge of losing it every time Harry's free hand would squeeze my thigh when he explained something with passion. I closed my eyes, listening to his words, instead of watching them leave his lips.

        He talked about what, and how much, his professors were assigning him, using the words, and I quote, "Those fuckin' tossers. Pretty sure they assume we don't have lives outside their classrooms." Or he also started telling me about how there was a kid in his Bio-chem lab that literally took every opportunity to stare at Harry from behind him. He then went on to say, "M'not sure, but I think he might be a little light in the loafers." To which, of course, I laughed softly at. He didn't seem to mind that I was on the verge of sleep, though, and he just continued to talk quietly, letting me bask in the sound.

        Before sleep came, I felt vaguely aware of Harry moving his hand so it was instead wrapped around and in between mine, and I finally succumbed to the darkness, oddly aware of the smile I wore while doing so.

________________________

        With a rushed inhale, I woke up. Right away I remembered I was still in a car with Harry-- half due to his signature smell wafting around me like a cloud, and the other half because the moment I opened my eyes, I spotted a window. A window, which on closer inspection gave a view of a parking lot.

        Craning my sore neck to my left with a hiss, I spoke gruffly, "We're here? Wait, where are we?"

        "Yeah, I let you sleep for about half an hour. You looked too peaceful," Harry said, watching me as if his eyes had been on me for longer than just as I woke.