12. Dreams

Haven- 12

"...watch the past go up in smoke. you fake a smile, lie and say, you're better now than ever and your life's okay, when it's not. no, you're doin' all these things outta desperation. oh, you're goin' through six degrees of seperation..."

Harry.

        I stared unbelieving and numb at the closed door, watching the wood frame rattle slightly from the impact. My eyes were pleading with the rest of me for this to be a joke. A hallucination maybe. I wanted to ask anyone willing to answer on what I'd ever done to be given this kind of luck, once I painfully realized this was real life. This was actually happening. I was originally blind to how badly this would hurt if it ever happened. I was completely unaware to what love could do to your system; even more what it could do once it had been ungracefully stolen away.

        A throat cleared from behind me. My blood simmered to a medium flare.

        "Now I know why you call her a baby. Like damn, she really is acting like one," snorted Vanessa. I was ready to smash my fist into the wall next to her head.

        I turned slowly, slow enough to push time between our indefinent meeting, and I met her cold eyes. With my face hard, I bitterly brought the back of my hand up to my lips, wiping at them harshly, making a show that her efforts to seduce me had went fully and wholeheartedly wrong. I proceeded to swipe the flavored lip-gloss off of my hand and onto my jeans. Running my fingers through my hair, I was beginning to grow tired of watching the play of unhidden madness through her eyes. The eyes I had stayed in contact with throughout my small show. There was no doubt in me that she could detect my hatred for her, for her snide act, in my features. "Leave," I said suddenly, speaking for the first time and embarrasingly listening as my voice cracked from the thick unuse.

        "You're telling me to leave?" She shrieked. I didn't bother hiding my grimace. Her voice was making my head pound more than it already was, her acrid perfume was quickly clogging my senses.

        "Yes, I'm fucking telling you to leave, Vanessa. Do I have to spell it out for you?"

        "No." She crossed her arms across her chest. She distinctly resembled a four-year-old. Thing is, I liked children; wanted some of my own some day. I just didn't like this child. "This is a free coun--"

        "Leave!" My voice rose. "Do you realize what you've just done!?"

        She stepped back, as if she was impacted by the sudden loudness of of my voice. My breathing was already labored-- a tell tale sign I was that close to losing it-- and I really didn't want to think about how the best thing to ever walk into my life had just walked out.

        It was doing things to my state of mind, and I would end up being accountable for my actions, not to mention sent bills for replacing the dry-wall in this damn dormitory if Vanessa wasn't out of my sight soon.

        "How about you tell me." The smirk that was making a home on her brisk face was irking me to no end.

        My legs were ready to give out.

        I bristled. "You don't deserve to know. You don't have any fucking part in my life anymore, so what makes you think you could just kiss me?" I spat. "We've been through for months, Vanessa. Wait," I backtracked, smiling sadistically. "We never were anything, were we?"

        Her face went hard. "You're a fucking dick."

        "So you've mentioned," I nodded faux thoughtfully. I was way past caring.