9. Are We Okay?

Haven- 09

"...i will be drunk on cheap beer, like everyone else around here..."

Harry.

        The universe was playing tricks on me.

        It was the only reletively normal excuse I had conjured up on the walk to my dorm. My legs felt like they had been pumping for ten miles rather than the pathetic distance they actually were. When I finally made it to my door, my eyes caught sight of Ella's door instinctively. I just wanted to go over and knock (just for confirmation that we're okay, and that Niall may like her too, but in the end that won't matter). In a fantasy world, I could walk up to her and have asked her to be my girlfriend despite the fact that I have no fucking idea how to be a boyfriend-- and she'd say yes right away, then we could date, buy pizza, study together, and my friends would be supportive of that decision. Suddenly everything feels out of sorts; everything was a faraway concept. The once simple life I was living, was now deemed complicated.

        And, no, I have to remind myself that Niall didn't immediately come out and say that he has feelings for her. Though, unfortunate for me, I wasn't born yesterday.

        I turned reluctantly to unlock my door, not sparing another glance at Ella's because honestly it will just continue to eat me alive, and I wasn't ready to face the fact that I couldn't be with her without hurting someone else in the process.

        When I twisted my key in the slot, I found it was already open. With a frown, I slowly walked into my dorm. I know I locked it when I went to class, (I never forget to lock it).

        "Hello?" I called out for precaution considering my nerves were already on their last lifeline. If someone honestly broke into my dorm, they're not hiding the fact very well so far.

        I heard footsteps from the hall to my bathroom and then, "Well, well, well, you must be my roomie."

        I did a good job of jumping when the deep voice came out of nowhere. Sooner rather than later a tall figure made his way in front of me but I stayed frozen, trying to rack my memory. Then, as per its tendency to be tardy, I remembered.

        My new roommate. Fuck, he wasn't supposed to come until tomorrow.

        "You weren't supposed to be here yet," I spoke my thoughts, and walked around him.

        "Nice to meet you too," he muttered dryly, turning to follow me. "The names Kane, if you were wondering."

        "Like the candy?" I asked. I hear him chuckle despite the fact that I wasn't even really trying to be funny. When I made it to the mini kitchen, pulling out a Budweiser, I turned to get a good look at him.

        "With a 'K'." He corrected, his bright blue eyes twinkling. My useless caveman instincts-- the ones I didn't even realize I owned before Ella-- kicked in at the thought of her possibly... no, I stopped my thoughts quickly. I was becoming paranoid.

        I hummed in response, and walked past him again with my beer in hand. I made myself comfortable on the couch, and turned the TV on. He follows me, again, and I didn't have the energy right now to tell him to fuck off and that I want to be alone, so I just stayed silent. I flipped through the channels.

        "So, I, uh, took room to the left. Since it looked like you already use the one on the right," he said. "This is, like, a really big dorm. My friends back home said it'd be this really small and shitty thing."