Thirteen

It's been a while since Tanner and Shaun left, and soccer has been going well, Valentine's Day wasn't exactly the greatest... Alex and I broke up, we got in a fight about how we both put our jobs before the relationship, and it was just terrible all around, if I'm being honest though, we were both on our periods that day. I know I had a rough day at soccer practice, and in the Smile More store after I got home from practice, right now, though, I was sitting in a conference room with my parents as we sat across the table from Jill, and Sunil, who would hopefully be replaced by Hope Solo. My folks were going over the legal stuff, my dad's lawyers were here, too, and I was trying to pay attention, but I just wanted to sign the contract so I could start playing. Five grueling hours later, everything was sorted out, and Jill was going to escort me to the team's hotel. When I got there, Ashlyn met me with a warm, bone crushing hug.

"She's official!" Ashlyn exclaims and I groan.

"I'll be officially dead if you don't put me down." I say and she sets me down. "Thank you." I say, turning and hugging Ali as she comes and gently hugs me.

-

The next morning, we got up, had breakfast and went off to Mapfre to practice, and as we were heading in, my youth club was heading out, so I said hey to most of the girls on the way into the locker room to get ready. It's awesome how my first game will be at home. Not just on US soil kind of at home, but home home, Columbus, Ohio. The stadium I practice at every morning.

"You don't seem nervous at all." Tobin says to me and I look over at her.

"I was just here yesterday with a nastier group than all of you combined. Adolescent females. And I should know. I'm one." I say and Tobin chuckles. "Being around you guys is a breath of fresh air, but the prospect of playing alongside you guys is a little nerve wracking." I say, but shrug. "I train day in and day out for this, so I'm not gonna back down." I say and she nods.

"Respect."

-

The games went well, despite the snow in Columbus, and I started the second half of the game in Columbus, and we won, 1-0 against Germany before flying to New Jersey to tie, 1-1 with France; again, I started the second half, and finally heading to Orlando, where I was subbed in in the 23rd minute and played the rest of the game against England, which we won. 1-0. Right now, we're still in Orlando, at the hotel as I talk with dad on the phone.

"I know, I know, dad, but Ashlyn and the Pride girls really want me to stay a few more days and train a little with the team."

"But you're needed here."

"For what? The Smile More store is covered, Nana is always with Kane and Cora. All I do is play soccer, waste space in the Smile More store, eat, and sleep."

"We miss you."

"You also missed all of my games. Even the one right at home. So excuse me if I'm mildly upset that my entire family missed the most important thing to ever happen to me." I sigh out. "Look, I wasn't calling for permission. I was calling to let you know that I'm fine, and staying in Orlando for a week. I'll be staying with Ashlyn. I'll send you and mom her number in a while, tell Noah, Kane, and Cora I love them. I love you, I love mom. I just need a bit. I want to experience more than what I have. I want to be with more people than I have been since you adopted me. I need some time apart from you guys, and I trust these girls." I say and hear dad sigh.

"Just be careful. Okay?" He says, hesitation dripping from his voice. "If you trust these girls, I trust them, too, because I know how hard it is for you to trust. And if you trust them already..."