Nineteen

I stop recording and shift Julie to lay correctly on her bed before covering her up, flipping on her Crest, turning her light off, and heading down stairs.

-
Julie
-

A week after the 4th of July, I was just getting home from practice, when I saw dad out in the driveway.

"Sixteen days!" Dad says when he sees me, and I raise a brow.

"Until the wedding?" I ask, and dad smiles wide, so I mirror the smile.

"Hey, have you told Alex about the whole Melissa thing?" He asks, and I nod.

"Yep, sure did, when I first went to see her after getting home."

"And?"

"She appreciated the fact that I was honest with her, and respected the fact that I didn't tell her right away in favor of telling her in person."

"So everything is good between you two?"

"Yep."

"Good." Dad says, hugging me, and I groan, enjoying the hug. He's putting the right pressure on the right spots. My muscles have been unusually tight lately, no idea why.

-

"Jill, hi, I was expecting a call from you." I say as I answer Jill's call a week after dad asked me about Alex.

"I like the confidence, Julie."

"Well, you see, it's more knowing my luck than confidence."

"How so?"

"Because when I'm fully available, I have to force you to notice me, but now that I can't make it to the first two games of the Tournament of Nations, you want me there for all three games."

"You can't make the first two games?"

"No, my parents are getting married on the 27th, in Hawaii." I explain, sighing. "We leave in five days."

"Well, while I extend a very large congratulations to your mom and dad, I am also sad to hear you won't make the first two games."

"Could I show up to camp after coming home to try for a spot on the 2nd?" I ask, and there's a pause.

"We'd love that." Jill says, and I go to respond, but she continues speaking. "But Dawn and I think it best if you stay home after getting home from Hawaii and recoup for the camp after the Tournament." Jill says, and I sigh. "Your well-being is more important than having you on the roster."

"I understand. Thank you, Jill. Please let the team know that I'm truly sorry I couldn't be there for the tournament."

"Will do, Julie, talk to you in a few weeks." She says before hanging up, and I look at dad who was looking at me.

"Jill says congrats to you and mom." I say, and he nods.

"You look like someone stole your ice cream cone." Dad says, and I shrug.

"I just wish that the team schedule wasn't always so up in the air so I could definitively know when I was available for what."

"If you want to go to the tournament, Jules, go."

"No, you already bought the tickets for me to go. We got me a suit. I'm not missing that wedding." I say, and dad nods.

"Alright."

-

I skipped right past Cora's birthday, I know, but there wasn't much to say about it, it was hot enough to make me miss New Mexico that day, Cora was sick, and tired, Mom was tired, I was just chilling, the party was over before it even began in my eyes, yes, it was a fun day, but it wasn't right, not when the birthday girl was so tired she cried at a unicorn cake, the next day Cora was better, and we did presents, but I wasn't awake for that, I stayed up late with nana cleaning up. On Cora's actual birthday, I tried to spend all my time with Cora, but I also had to make time to call Carli and wish her a happy birthday, as well. When she asked how I knew, the answer was simple.