Sixteen

"Dad, I can't-- I just need to pack and go." Julie says to me as I lean against her doorway.

"But where are you going?" I ask, and she sighs.

"Calrsbad, Dad. The new principal called me about their graduation, and asked if I'd like to graduate a year early and in the town I grew up in." Julie says, and I raise a brow.

"Were you going to invite us?"

"Can you get flights so short notice?" She asks.

"Short notice?"

"I've known for a week and a half, but could never find the right time. My class ring came with my cap, gown, and tassel."

"We'll be there. Okay? Just go to your graduation." I say, and she nods, sighing as she zips her bag closed and kisses my cheek on her way past me

-
Julie
-

When I landed in Roswell, the junior from when I left was waiting for me, and I smiled when I saw her, a wedding band on her finger.

"Hi, oh my god." I say, walking up to her and hugging her.

"Congrats, kid." She says, stepping out of the hug. "I cried when I saw that you were starting for the National Team." She says, and I chuckle. "Let's get you home." She finishes, and I nod as I follow her out to her car.

"So is that a wedding band I see on your finger?" I ask, and she looks at her hand, grinning.

"Yeah, it is."

"I thought your girlfriend was a year younger than you." I say, and she shrugs.

"She was, but we didn't work out, so the girl I ended up with after her is now my wife." She says, and I grin.

"Well, congrats."

"Thank you."

-
Roman
-

"You what?" My ex asks me over the phone.

"Look, I now you're supposed to have Noah right now, but his sister is about to graduate, and I'd like to have him there."

"Julie's graduating? I thought she was born in 2001." She says, and I sigh.

"She finished all her credits early, and Brittney kept her on her high school's curriculum, so her actual school reached out and invited her to graduation."

"Yeah... Alright. Come get Noah. And tell Julie I said congratulations."

-
Julie
-

I didn't make it in time for the Senior Breakfast, but I was fine with that. None of my friends were in the Class of 2018, so it was better for me to just spend a day at my old foster home relaxing and getting ready for tomorrow night.

"Oh, I'm so proud of you; graduating early, and making it to the National Team." My old foster mom says, hugging me when I walk into the house I lived in for so much of my life. The house I almost ended it in. "Congrats, Julie." She says, pulling out of the hug, and I smile.

"Thank you." I say, and she leads me to the guest room so I could rest up.

-
Britt
-

"She's graduating. Why didn't she tell me she's graduating? How many tickets do I get? Where do we fly to? Help." Roman says, and I put a hand on his shoulder.

"Breathe, honey. I'll text Julie and ask which airport we should fly to, while you call who you think might want to go."

"Do we have to take Alex?"