Twenty Seven

After the Belgium game, we did our usual post game routine before we were able to leave to go prepare for the NWSL season, so, since I had a few days between the travel day we had, and the first game of the season, I went home for three days, and spent time with family.

-

On my first day home, though, I had gone out to the store to get some stuff that I needed, and as I was minding my own business in the store, I heard a familiar voice as I looked at face wash, since the one I'm currently using, only breaks me out more.

"Yo, Julie." She says, and I look over, sighing when I see Freddie headed my way.

"Freddie." I say, turning my attention back to the shelves.

"Nah, you pay attention to me for a second." She says, and I sigh as I look over. "You broke my best friend's heart." She says, and I sigh. "Leaving her for an Aussie."

"Yep, there it is."

"There what is?"

"The lie. I told Alex that we needed to take a break, because she doesn't trust me to not leave her for every girl that breathes my way. No matter how many times I told her that I was with her for a reason, and I wasn't going to leave her just to leave her."

"So?"

"So, until she loves herself enough to believe that whoever she's with won't leave her for no reason, I won't be her girlfriend."

"So, wait, you didn't cheat on her?" Freddie asks, and I raise a brow.

"I'm too damn busy to cheat on her."

"Too busy?"

"Four jobs. Smile More, YouTube, I'm about to start playing for the NWSL in a few days, and I'm gone every two weeks with the national team. I have time to sleep, eat, shower, and spend time with family before going right back to work." I say, and she sighs.

"I'm sorry. It's just that she's crushed. She loves you."

"She might love me, but that's nothing without trust." I say, and she nods. "See you." I say, taking what I decided on, and walking away.

-

When I got to Orlando, I wasn't staying with Krashlyn. I kinda felt like I was intruding, and was going to find my own place, but during camp, Alex convinced me to stay with her while we wait to go to the World Cup.

"Julie!" Alex calls out, and I jump awake.

"Dammit, Alex!" I respond, sighing as I sit up.

"Come on, breakfast is ready." She says, poking her head into my 'assigned' room.

"Give me half a second to not have a heart attack, woman, jeez." I say, and she chuckles, but leaves. Leaving the door wide open. "Alex!" I call after her.

"Now you have a reason to get out of bed!" She responds, and I sigh as I get out of bed while shaking my head at my teammate as I close the door behind Blue who came trotting in.

"I have your good boy, so I win!" I call out, kneeling down to pet Blue, smiling as he curls up next to the bed while I get ready for the day. As I leave the room, Blue walks next to me, and Alex stares at me.

"I let you into my house, and you steal the loyalty of my dog." She jokes, and I grin, scratching Blue's head as he leans against me.

"I didn't mean to, but at least we know who his favorite is." I say, and she gives me a look.

"Watch it, kid. I'll send you to practice without breakfast."

"There's breakfast at practice."

"Shit, you're right."