Chapter 22 - Aftermath

I stared at the clock, the digits swimming in and out of focus. 13.47. Beth and Ryan had left an hour and 12 minutes ago. They would have got to their house about 50 minutes ago. Why hasn't I heard from Joel?

I heard a creak on the stairs and snapped my head to the bedroom door. Mum put her head round.

"Hey," she said.

"I'm still not hungry," I reminded her.

"If you're sure." She sighed. "He will text you, Ellie." I mumbled something of a reply. With another sigh she left, leaving me again with a silent phone and a mocking clock. Both of which I hated, but right now needed.

My phone buzzed, making me jump. I stared at it cautiously; it was face down, so I couldn't see the sender. I didn't want to assume is was Joel, but I couldn't help myself. Closing my eyes and taking a deep breath, and flipped the phone over.

1 new message from Joel.

Slowly, I reached towards and picked it up from the bed, and pressed open.

Ellie,

I'm so sorry for what I said earlier. It was completely out of order and unfair, and I should never have said it. Can I apologise in person? Meet me at La Petite Maison asap if you feel like it. If you don't, I completely understand.

I love you so much. Joel xxxxx

I released the breath I had been subconsciously holding while I read the text, and sent a brief reply. We couldn't sort this out over text, and Joel was right; we needed to talk, face to face.

See you in ten. xxx

I leaped up off the bed, my spirits suddenly high. I looked down at what I was wearing: navy skinny jeans, a pink and white baseball top, my feet clad in polka-dot socks. I shrugged on my black leather jacket, stepped into my converse and mussed my hair a bit before grabbing my phone and hurtling downstairs.

"Mum, I have to go," I mumbled, before opening the front door and racing down the steps into the open. The fresh air felt good against my skin, making me feel awake. I shivered slightly from the cold, but it was bearable. I slipped my phone into the front pocket of my jeans, and hurried towards the direction of La Petite Maison.

*****

After 10 minutes of brisk walking, I pushed open the door of La Petite Maison. I scanned the tables, but his voice called my name before I spotted him.

"Ellie!" I turned, and behind me, sat at the same table as our first date, was Joel. He stood up, and I took in everything about him. His hair was tousled, unlike his usual neat quiff. He had an open, hopeful expression on his face as he looked at me, and he didn't say anything.

"Uh, hi," I stuttered with a cough. I noticed the corners of his mouth lift slightly, reminding me of why I fell in love with his smile in the first place.

"Hey." He spoke softly, as if talking to an injured animal. I guess I was, in a way.

Joel walked over to my side of the table and pulled out the chair, gesturing for me to sit. I did, and he sat back down, fiddling with his hands nervously.

"First of all, I want you to know that I didn't mean a single word that I said to you on the phone." I saw him swallow, and let him continue.

"I was angry with Ryan, because he didn't tell us that he wasn't going to be there, or even where he was. And with only three of us left to sort out tour..." He swore softly under his breath, looking up at the ceiling. I caught my hand with his.

"I-, I should have known," I said. His eyes moved to meet mine, and I studied the intense blue colour of them. Joel shook his head.

"It was my fault. And Ryan's, I suppose."

"Have you spoken to him?" Joel let out a breath.

"Yeah. I didn't realise how hurt he still was about... About the incident. He hid it pretty well."

"Mmm," I murmured. All the anger and frustration that had built up inside of me was gone, and all I could feel was the strong beating of my heart as Joel's hand was looped in mine.

"But it was still wrong what I did. And I am really sorry I said it, and that you got so upset. I never wanted to hurt you like that, and I failed. All you've ever done is be good to me, to help and to be understanding, and it must have seemed like I just threw it all back in your face-"

"Joel," I interrupted, "Stop. It's okay. I understand now. Both your tour and my college placement have been difficult for us to manage during our relationship. We've all been overwhelmed and stressed by everything, even Beth."

"But it was still no excuse..."

"Sh, I know. And I accept your apology, and I'm willing to move on, if you are."

"Yeah," he said with a smile, "I hope we can put this behind us."

"Of course we can."

"That's so good to hear. I love you, you know that?" His eyes saw straight through me as I answered.

"I love you too." He grinned.

"Now, are we getting coffee or what?"

*****

15 minutes later we were back at the Lawson house, lying on Joel's bed. It was still their 'lunch break', so Joel wasn't needed for more tour prep with the other members.

I was rested my head on the crook of Joel's shoulder, as he stroked my arm with his finger.

"Are you still nervous about tomorrow?" He asked me quietly. I thought for a moment.

"A bit. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, I'll just miss you." He laughed softly, and I could feel the vibrations in his chest.

"I'll miss you too. But I'll see you when you finish your day, right?"

"Yeah, I'm still staying at home."

"That's good. And are you gonna come to our first night of tour on Wednesday?" I shifted slightly to gaze up at him.

"Where is it?"

"Liverpool."

"Andy's hometown?"

"Obviously, the scouser." I chuckled slightly at that. Joel turned to face me. "So will you come?" I pressed a kiss to his mouth, making his eyes widen in surprise.

"Of course I'll come." He grinned wickedly, moving so that he was leaning down on top of me.

"Hey, you're not gonna get away with that," he teased.

"What?" I mocked innocently. Joel just raised an eyebrow and descended, grazing my jawline with his lips. He moved up across my cheek, sending goosebumps across my neck. His mouth met mine, and he brushed his lips softly, gradually increasing speed. The desperation built up, and his hands were in my hair and on my bare back, exploring. I ran my fingers through Joel's hair, gripping tightly as he kissed me. Eventually he pulled away, breathing heavily.

"We haven't kissed like that in a while," he said.

"I like it," I said with a grin, before pulling him down again to continue.

*****

a/n

Apologies for the delay in updating, I have exams at the moment 😒

Thank you for over 3k reads, that means so much :) Don't be a silent reader: vote & comment!

Thanks for reading