Chapter 1 - Exam Day

I'm dreaming.

I'm stood in a meadow, surrounded by daisies, grass curled around my bare feet. The sweet smell of the start of spring fills my senses.

To my left I can see the back of a boy; medium height, maybe 5'9'', with dark, ruffled hair, his hands slid firmly into the pockets of his jeans. It's only then that I realise he is singing.

It's so soft, so quiet that I can barely hear it. His voice is so sweet, so beautiful that I forget everything. I know only of his voice.

The pleasure I feel is overwhelming. I don't want to stop listening; I could stay like this for weeks, just stood, calmly meditating to the heavenly melodies escaping from his mouth...

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

I open my eyes, sleep blurring my vision.

"Morning!" It's Mum. "Time to wake up, Ellie! You've got an important day ahead of you..."

Ugh. I groaned. I'd completely forgotten; I had my Grade 7 piano exam today. Joy.

I forced myself to lift the warm covers off my unforgiving body and zombie-walked to the bathroom. I glanced in the mirror. Yikes. Need to sort that mess out beforehand the exam.

After brushing my teeth, fixing my blonde hair and eating breakfast (as Mum forced me to) I was in the car ready to go wearing my favourite jeans, a loose blue mottled t-shirt and my white converses. Oh, and my piano exam books.

I was ridiculously nervous; my palms were sweating like crazy and I couldn't exactly breathe straight. If I failed this exam I had absolutely no hope of getting into the London Music College I desperately wanted to go to.

Biting my lip anxiously, I looked out of the steamed-up car window, watching the rows of trees race by. I sighed; partly with exasperation, and partly with nerves.

Mum heard me and glanced at me through the rear-view mirror.

"You ok?" I nodded, unable to even reply with fear that if I did open my mouth I would throw up.

We arrived at the music centre, and Mum guided me out of the car, looking concerned.

"Ellie, you don't look good. Do you want to go home? The exam can be rearranged, it's no big deal..." I shook my head vigorously. No. I had to do this now, or I would miss the slot for the entrance for the London Music Collage. I had to do it.

Mum said goodbye at the reception.

"Good luck honey," she said, rubbing my arm, "You'll do great. As always."

Legs wobbly and threatening to defy me, I walked towards the waiting room. I felt as if I was about to burst into tears.

As I entered though the doorway I surveyed the range of people before me, also sweating nervously in preparation for their music exams. All except one.

The boy. That boy, from my dream. He had the exact same dark brown, ruffled hair, the same jeans, the same stance. And... was it me? Or was he singing that song that I heard in the meadow. Again so soft and so delicate, but just as beautiful.

He turned to face me, flashing a brilliant smile with a row of white teeth. I was mesmerised by his utter attractiveness.

I blinked, to see him frowning, and looking at me expectantly.

"What?" I asked stupidly. He smiled to himself, as if amused.

"I asked you a question." He replied, biting his lip and staring at me under his long, luscious lashes. I felt dizzy from head to toe.

Don't faint, I told myself, Do not faint. I took a seat next to him so I didn't fall over, and I was instantly aware of how little space there was between our two bodies. I actually felt claustrophobic.

"Oh, sorry." I said, my voice cracking so I sounded like a man. Great.

"I asked if you're here to do a exam." The boy said, a smile still playing on his lips. I wanted to kiss his and smack him at the same time. Let's see how he likes to be played at his own game...

"No, I'm just here for fun, you know?" I said, sarcasm drawing out my words excessively.

He laughed then, a pure, genuine chuckle that made my hairs stand on end and sent flutters through my veins. Woah.

"Fair enough," he said, "What do you play?" He looked at me quizzically, as if studying an creature that had just crawled I of the depths of the Earth. Am I that fascinating?

"Er, piano." I answered nervously. What if he thinks it's a wimp instrument? He probably plays guitar, or drums. Something he would call hardcore and a real rock instrument.

To my relief, he nodded appreciatively.

"You?" I asked.

"Guitar." He replied casually, draping his bare arm over the back of my chair. I froze.

"Oh?" I said, trying to act as laid back as him, even though inside I was about to explode. "What grade?"

"Eight."

Shit. I was only grade 7.

"You?" He said.

"Um..." I quickly changed the topic. "So who are you anyway?" I realised afterwards how harsh that sounded, when really I just wanted to know more about this insanely hot guy I was sat next to.

He shifted his position so that he was facing me, gently brushing his leg against mine in the process I swear, I could actually feel electricity cursing through me.

"Hi, my name is Joel." He said, his face utterly composed. "I'm 20, and I'm in a band with three other musicians. What about you?"

I thought how cool that was, that he was in a band. Joel. I liked that name, I decided.

"Hi, I'm Ellie. I'm 18, and I have a pretty boring life." If concluded, disappointed in myself that I couldn't think of anything more to tell him.

Joel shook his head. "I don't believe that, Ellie. C'mon, what are your hopes and dreams..." He trailed off, motioning with his hands for me to continue.

"Well, my main life goal is to get into London Music College actually. That's why I'm here."

Joel looked confused, so I went on.

"I have to pass my grade 6 to get in." I explained, sighing.

"Hey, chin up." He said, "Of course you'll pass it. No, fuck that; you'll ace it." He gave me an encouraging smile, and gently squeezed my right shoulder with his hand that was still on my chair.

I tried to smile back, but I was too nervous with the thought of my exam approaching nearer.

Just then a woman with short brown hair and a clipboard entered the waiting room and scanned the awaiting musicians. Her judgmental gaze fell on me, and she tapped her clipboard with her pen and said,

"Ellie Southwell? The examiners are ready for you."

Oh, God. This was it.

I stood up, my legs shaky and threatening to fail me. I tried my best to stay composed, b it much have been obvious that I wasn't because Joel whispered to me,

"You'll ace it, remember?"

And with Joel's words playing in my head, I walked into the exam room.