Chapter 15 - Next Day

I opened my eyes slowly, and stretched my arms and legs. I felt the sheets against my skin, and froze. I was naked.

The events of the night before came flooding back: I had slept with Joel. Joel had slept with me. I turned over, to find his side unoccupied. I could hear movement downstairs, and assumed Joel was having breakfast. His digital clock read 9.32.

I considered whether to change properly into the clothes I had brought with me, but then chose just to grab my bra, pants, and Joel's shirt which was too big for me. The hem went below my bum, so I was covered.

I tiptoed down the stairs, listening out for Joel's three housemates. But there were no sounds coming for their rooms; hopefully they were still asleep.

Hovering by the kitchen door, I peered round to see if there was someone there. Joel stood at the hob, humming to himself as he cooked something in a pan, oblivious to my presence. I stood watching him for a while. He seemed pretty relaxed and open, so I hoped he wasn't having regrets about last night.

I shuffled into the room, causing Joel to turn round and smile.

"Hey, gorgeous," he said, putting both hands on the sides of my face and kissing me. It was only a brief brush in the lips but it was enough to remind me of last night.

"Morning," I said, "What're you cooking?" I peered over the hob to look into the pan.

"Bacon and eggs," he replied, "You hungry?" I nodded eagerly. Joel smiled to himself.

"You look cute by the way," he glanced at my clothes.

"Thanks," I said.

"So," he began, stirring the scrambled egg, "Did you enjoy last night?" He looked at me sheepishly.

"Obviously," I said, sitting down on a stool and swinging my legs.

"Yeah," he said smirking, then bit his lip.

"What?" I asked softly.

"Nothing," he said, but I could see something was playing on his mind.

"Joel," I whined. He sighed.

"It's just... Was it okay? I know I was the one who asked you, but maybe it was too soon, I don't know."

"Joel," I said shaking my head, "last night was beyond perfection. It wasn't too soon, and I wanted to. I told you that."

"If you're sure," Joel said, unconvinced.

"I am. And let me show you," I said, stepping off the stool and wrapping my arms around his shoulders. We moved away from the hob and towards the central island. Joel hitched me up onto the counter and ran his fingers under his shirt that I was wearing. He nuzzled my neck with his nose.

"Alright, lovebirds?" Adam came marching through the kitchen door, grinning at us widely. I cleared my throat, jumping off the counter, and covered the tops of my legs with Joel's shirt.

"Morning Ads," Joel said, not bothered.

"Ooh bacon and eggs, my favourite," Adam said, looking at the pans.

"Not for you," Joel said immediately.

"I'm sure there'll be enough," I offered.

"Hope so," Adam winked at me, "By the way, is that Joel's shirt?" I just rolled my eyes and ignored him.

"Breakfast's almost ready," Joel announced, "Would you mind grabbing some plates Adam?"

"Not if I don't get any," Adam replied.