Chapter 6 - First Kiss

My eyes widened in surprise.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah, really," He shook his head in disbelief, smiling at me.

"That's so weird. Like, a nice weird, but still weird..." I mumble.

"Was it that night before the exam?" He asked.

"Yeah."

"It was for me too," he said, looking away.

"Joel, what do you think this means?" I asked hesitantly. I wasn't sure I wanted to hear his answer.

"I think it means that we were meant to meet," he said without a beat. I looked at him, testing whether he was being serious. He looked straight back at me.

"Oh my God," I breathed, "I thought these things only happened in books."

"Yeah, me too."

We finished our lunch without talking much. When the waiter came over again to give us the bill, Joel offered to pay.

"Fine," I said, "but I'll have to tell him that in French."

"Yeah okay," he said grinning.

We left La Petite Maison to find ourselves walking in the general direction of Joel's house, in silence. It felt so awkward.

"Um, I should probably go," I said, not looking at Joel.

"What? Why?" He asked, turning to face me. I looked up, surprised to discover hurt in Joel's expression.

"I don't know." I answered honestly. Why did I want to go? I definitely wanted to spend more time with Joel, just not like this.

"Look, if it's about the whole dream thing... I know it's weird, and I'm struggling to get my head around it, but I don't want it to prevent us from spending time together," he said, smiling slightly.

"I thought the same thing," I said, "but also I don't want to, you know, outstay my welcome."

Joel shook his head. "No way, you'd be welcome round any time."

"Thanks," I said, flattered, "shall we go somewhere else, though? Other than back to yours. The weather's so nice..." I trailed off.

"Yeah, rare isn't it. Hey, we can go to the park?"

"Sounds good," I said, biting my lip. More time to spend with Joel.

"Awesome," he said, his smile crinkling his gorgeous eyes.

Suddenly, he reached down and grabbed my hand in his, before looking at me as if to ask 'is that okay?'. I smiled to show that, yes, yes this is so okay. The pressure of his fingers against my palm was so unbelievably perfect, and any slight movement sent electricity surging through my entire body. I could feel the warmth if the sun on my back, Joel's fingers looped with mine, and I had never felt happier.

We reached the park, which consisted of a large open green space, a few benches and some climbing frames. It was pretty empty, which seemed to make it easier. Still holding my hand, Joel led me to one of the benches. We sat down, our legs touching.

It was so peaceful, and as I listened to the sounds of Joel's breathing, in, out, in, out, my single thought was I am in love.

"Ellie," Joel began, shifting so that he was directly facing me, staring intently into my eyes. I waited for him to continue, but all that happened was that he was leaning in, his mouth a shy smile. We are going to kiss, I thought stupidly. Joel closed his eyes.