Chapter 16 - Forgetful

Finally Jeremy Kyle finished and Joel's eyes became unglued to the TV.

"Hello, stranger," I joked.

"Hello," he said, his voice low.

"I'd better get dressed," I said, looking down at my lack of clothes.

"I like you in that shirt, though," Joel flirted.

"It's certainly cosy," I replied.

"Do you want to shower?" he asked.

"You trying to tell me something, Peat?" I teased, "But yeah, please. If that's okay with the others." I knew they all shared a bathroom, so I didn't want to get in their way.

"'Course," Joel said simply.

"Okay," I said, standing up and kissing him briefly on the mouth, "See you in a few minutes."

"Yep. Love you," he said, looking back to the TV screen. I sighed internally; he needed to find some decent programmes to watch.

I scurried through the kitchen, relieved to find it empty of people, but full of unwashed plates and bowls. I began to pile them into the dishwasher before Joel yelled,

"I'll do it!"

"Thanks!" I shouted back, and made my way up the stairs. He was the perfect boyfriend.

I found my way to the bathroom and hopped in. It felt like I was washing away memories of last night with Joel, which disappointed me, but also made me feel... Cleaned. Not of bad stuff; but of a dark, hot evening where thoughts and feelings became muddled. A nice muddled, though.

I was just wrapping a towel around my body when the door flew open. Damn it, I thought, Why didn't I lock it?

It was Ryan.

"Ah shit, sorry," he said, averting his eyes.

"It's okay, my fault," I mumbled. I was so glad I was covered by the towel.

"Yeah, you might want to remember to lock the door in future. You know, if this becomes a regular thing."

"A regular thing?" I questioned, standing my ground.

"Yeah. You staying the night."

"Well, I'll keep that in mind," I said tersely. He turned to go.

"Ryan," I called after him, "If you have a problem with me and Joel, I think we'd both rather you'd just come out and say what it is."

"Who says I have a problem with you and Joel?" He asked, trying to seem bewildered.

"It's obvious," I said, "You've been acting... Weird around us."

"Whatever," he muttered, and slammed the door shut between us. I sighed; how was I ever going to sort this out with Ryan?

*****

After changing into my leggings and top in the bathroom, I went into Joel's bedroom. He was already in there sat on the bed, his phone in hand. He looked up when I came in.

"Hey," he said, smiling.

"Hey," I said, sitting down next to him.

"You okay?" He asked.

"I kind of ran into Ryan in the bathroom. Or rather, he ran in on me," I said pointedly.

"Oh," Joel said, "Did he say something?"

"He just denied acting strangely. Have you spoken to him?" I asked.

"Yep. He didn't give much away." I sighed in exasperation.

"I know, it's annoying," Joel said soothingly, "But we need to ignore it for now."

"Okay," I replied.

"I'm gonna go have a shower," he announced. I nodded.

"I'll check my emails to see if that Ruth Grey has given the all clear," I said.

"Good idea." Joel planted a kiss on my cheek, and left the room.

I opened up my emails on my phone and refreshed them. Nothing. I refreshed them again. Still nothing. I refreshed the page once more, until I was convinced I did not have a reply from LMC. I also sent Mum a text.

Hey. Hope you're okay. I think I'll be hanging at Joel's for most of the day. Love you x

Send. Wait 20 seconds. My phone buzzed.

Ellie I thought you had work again today???

"Shit," I muttered. My work started at 10; it was currently 10.04.

"Shit," I said again.

I got up from Joel's bed and knocked lightly on the bathroom door.

"Joel?" I called. I heard the shower stop.

"Yeah?"

"Sorry, it's me. Ellie," I said, "Um, I forgot, I have work. Well, work started 4 minutes ago."

"Do you need a lift?"

"No it's okay, I can walk."

"You sure? Won't that take too long?"

"Yeah but you're still showering," I pointed out.

"One sec." 20 seconds later Joel's head was poked round the door and a towel around his waist.

"Hiya," I said.

"Hello," he replied. There was a long pause.

"Really, I can walk," I insisted after a while.

"Yeah, maybe I can't drive you," he said, looking down at his lack of clothes.

"And your hair's wet," I said, bringing a hand up to his head and feeling the damp cling to the stands. Without it styled up into a quiff it hung down across his forehead, making him look younger.

"Yeah," he agreed.

"Well I'd better go," I said.

"Yeah. Text me."

"Will do," I said, and turned to go.

"Ellie!" Joel called down the landing, "Did you get a reply?" I shook my head in response, and Joel smiled.

"See you later," he said.

"Bye."

I walked downstairs to find Andy still watching TV in the lounge.

"Bye," I shouted.

"Where you going?" He asked, tearing his eyes away from the screen.

"I'm late for work," I explained.

"Say no more," he said laughing, "See you later."

"Yep, bye," I said, before closing the door behind me.

I checked my phone: 10.07. I was going to be very late.