Chapter 17 - Getting Ready

I arrived at 'Saxon's Music Store' at exactly 10.12. I pretty much ran all the way. When I passed throughout the entrance, the manager called me over.

"Sorry I'm late," I said, breathless.

"Given that this is your first time late, I will let this go unnoticed," he said, narrowing his eyes at me, "But if you use your phone again during work hours I will have to fire you." I gulped; so he had noticed me using my phone.

"Of course. Sorry," I said quickly.

"Any explanation?" He asked.

"Er, family issues," I said vaguely. More like Joel Peat withdrawal symptoms, I thought.

"Right. Well I'd appreciate it if you didn't allow them to interfere with your job in the future." I nodded furiously.

"Well, back to it, then!" He commanded, and I scurried off to the storage room to resume packing music books. Once I was sure he was out of sight, I pulled my phone out of my pocket to find a text waiting from Joel.

Hope you're not in too much trouble!!

I replied:

Luckily I think I'm off the hook :) but stop texting me or I won't be!

Got it ;) missing you already. See you at 2?

Maybe a bit later. I'll come over xx

Okay. Love youuu xxx

I smiled, then continued to pack music books into cardboard boxes. Fun.

*****

My two hour shift passed quick enough, and I began to make my way back over to the boys' house. I didn't mind walking in this weather; even though it was nearly autumn, the remains of summer were still in the air, and it reminded of my first date with Joel in the park.

After buzzing the bell for 14b, the door opened showing a very smiley Joel.

"Hey!" he said, drawing me in for a hug.

"Hey," I said, wrapping my arms around him and letting his hold me close. Wow, he smelt nice.

"Come on in," he invited, pulling me inside. We walked up the stairs hand in hand.

"Was work okay then?" Joel asked.

"Yeah," I said, "The manager let me off 'cos it was my first time late, but told me I need to stop using my phone during my shift."

"Ah, probably my fault, sorry," Joel apologised.

"I was the one getting distracted this morning," I said.

"With what?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"You, obviously," I said, poking him.

"Aw, you're too cute," he said grinning, before pushing open the door to 14b.

I went ahead, stepping into the kitchen to pour myself a glass of water. Joel was smiling at me.

"What?" I asked, my mouth full of water.

"Nothing," he said, "It's just nice to see you at home here."

"Same to you," I said, thinking back to when he had dinner at home.

"Mmm," he mumbled in agreement.

Out of habit I refreshed my emails. I had one unread message, so I opened it with haste.

___________________________________________________________________

From: London Music College