Chapter 18 - Clubbing

The six of us arrived at the club, and I was pleased to find that I was not double-checked for ID. Maybe it was because of who I was with, or maybe it was because I looked older tonight. Either way, I liked it.

We headed straight for the bar where Joel ordered six cocktails, which we all drowned almost immediately. After my sixth, I began to feel a little giddy.

"You might want to slow down," Joel murmured in my ear, but I could tell he wasn't being serious. Besides, he was pretty drunk himself.

"Ellie, let's go dance!" Beth shouted in my ear, pulling me towards the crowd of people swaying to the heavy beats of the music. I stumbled a little, partly due to my high heels and partly due to being slightly drunk.

She held my hands and brought them up so we were pumping the air with our fingers. I laughed loudly, feeling delirious. I felt a hand snake around my waist, and turned to see the blue eyes of Joel.

"Hey babe!" He yelled loudly above the music.

"Hey!" I shouted back, but the music drowned my voice out. Joel began dancing crazily, jumping up and down and his mouth wide open in an expression of glee.

"Oh my God this is soooo fun!" He shouted. I couldn't help but laugh with him; it was fun.

"C'mon, let's go over to the others," I said in his ear, and he turned to me, showing a face of confusion.

"Joel, come on," I encouraged, pushing him away from the dance floor and towards the bar where I could spot Adam and Andy sitting with drinks. I scanned the club for Beth, but I couldn't see her. As if reading my mind, Joel said,

"Is that Beth and Ryan?" He slurred, pointing towards a couple eloped in each other, and kissing passionately. I was about to say no, but then I saw the familiar sparkle of Beth's dress, and the way the guy was standing reminded me of Ryan. I drew in a breath in shock, before composing myself and turning away, towards the bar.

"Was that them? Was it?" Joel pestered, not looking where he was going. I ignored him; I don't know why, but for some reason I felt slightly betrayed. Why was it that Ryan hated me, but as soon as my best friend walked in he was all ready for relationships and getting close with someone? Very close, for that matter.

"Ellie," Joel whined, "Why are you ignoring me? I love you, baby," he said with a slight hiccup. I sat him down next to Adam and got him a glass of water.

"Drink this," I said to him, "Maybe it will sober you up a little."

"He always gets like this," Andy said, amused, "I wouldn't worry." I smiled, despite my concern.

"Hey, I found my old credit card!" Joel said, fiddling with his wallet.

"That's great, mate," Adam said sarcastically.

"Yeah!" Joel said, studying it carefully. He flicked it down on the table before I noticed a spark in his eyes as he thought of an idea. He slowly brought the card up to Adam's face, bringing one side back, ready to spring it forward. Adam stared him in the eye, daring him to do it. And Joel did. He roared with laughter, tears actually streaming down his face he flicked Adam with the credit card, again, and again, and again.

"Mate, stop," Adam instructed, clearly getting pissed off now.

"Nah, it's funny," Joel insisted, not stopping.

"Joel," Adam said, "Stop it." But Joel carried on.

"Joel I swear to God I will punch you in a minute."

"Joel, stop it," I said, trying to pull his hand away from Adam's face.

"But it's funny," he said, frowning at me.

"Not for Adam," I said, shaking my head.

"Okay then. Sorry," he sulked. I tried not to laugh.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Beth and Ryan stumble over towards our table, but I ignored them, only focusing on Joel.

"Hey guys," Beth slurred. She was much more drunk than me.

"Hey," Joel said, grinning widely. He was so out of it.

"Ryan has something he wants to say," she said, looking at him. I saw him swallow, then take a breath.

"I'm sorry I've been a dick these past few days with you and Joel," he said, looking at me. I guess Joel wasn't really in a state to listen. I just nodded, wanting him to continue.

"Obviously you know that Joel slept with my ex-girlfriend, and even though I know it was an accident, every time I see him with a girl it reminds me of her..." He trailed off.

"Soooo are you and Beth a couple now?" Joel said teasingly.

"We're giving it a go," Beth replied.

"That's nice," Joel murmured, before resting his head on the table and covering it with his arms. I sighed; we should take him home.

"Hey Joel, baby," I coaxed, "Do you want to go home?"

"Mmmm," he moaned. I took that as a yes.

"Guys," I addressed Adam and Andy, "I think I should take Joel home. It's almost twelve."

"Sure," Andy said, "I'll come with you. You might want a hand taking that fat lump into a taxi and up the stairs."

"Okay," I said with a laugh.

It seemed Beth and Ryan were staying here, so I said bye to them.

"See you later, guys."

"You going?" Beth asked me.

"Yeah," I said, "Joel's pretty drunk."

"Okay," she said, biting her lip, "You don't hate me, do you?" She said quietly.

"No!" I said honestly, "In fact, you've helped sort things out. Thank you."

"That's okay," she said smiling, "See you later."

"Bye." I waved at her, before dragging Joel out of his seat.

"Come on, you," I said, shaking my head in amusement.

*****

With Andy and Adam's help we managed to get Joel into a taxi just after he threw up on the pavement outside the club. Lovely.

Five minutes later we were in Chapman Square, and I had a very sleepy and attached Joel clinging onto my waist. We pulled him up the stairs into the flat, and up another set into his bedroom. He sprawled out on he bed, his eyes closed.

"We'll leave you to it," Andy said with a wink, "If you need us, just give us a shout."

"Thanks," I said, before turning to Joel. His eyes opened and he smiled.

"What?" I asked.

"I'm sleepy," he said with a yawn.

"Let's get you into bed, then," I said, dragging the covers from under him so I could tuck him in. I can't believe I'm doing this, I thought.

"Wait! Shoesss," Joel said, pointing to his feet.

"Yep, shoes," I said, pulling them off.

"And t-shirt," he said sleepily.

"I'm not going to get you naked, Joel," I said, although I reached for the hem of his shirt anyway, pulling it over his head. He opened his mouth, but I stopped him.

"Sh, just go to sleep now," I soothed, pulling the covers up to his bare shoulders.

"Are you staying?" He asked, his eyes wide. I hesitated; I had planned on going but Joel probably needed someone to keep an eye on him for tonight.

"I'm staying," I promised, and I took off my shoes and dress and slipped in next to him.

"Mmm," he mumbled, and I snuggled up next to him and slept.