Chapter 2 - Number

I came out of the exam room, feeling confident I had passed.

I had a quick look in the waiting room as I went to leave, but there was no sign of Joel. I guess he must have been in his exam. It was then that I realised I didn't wish him good luck.

Mum was waiting for me at the exit, and she hugged me as I came towards her.

"How'd it go?" She asked.

"Great, actually," I said honestly, "Listen mum, I need to wait for... Someone." I said vaguely.

"Oh, who?" She questioned, suspiciously. Trust mums.

"Just some guy who helped me before the exam... He was really nice." She smiled knowingly, and said,

"A boy, then? You like him? What's his name? How old is he?"

"Jeez, Mum! I only just met him! I just want to say thanks, okay?" I turned to go, then spun round and said,

"DON'T embarrass me. Stay here." She raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.

I stalked down the hallway, head down as I mulled over what Mum said. Do I like Joel? He was definitely hot, yeah. And the fact that I dreamed about him beforehand...

My head slammed into something firm but soft, and I looked up in surprise; into the most gorgeous blue eyes I had ever seen. Joel.

"Omigod, I'm so sorry!" I blurted out like an idiot. He chuckled.

"That's ok! How was your exam?" He asked, smiling. His teeth were so white, I noticed, and so perfect and straight and lovely like everything else about him-

"Ellie?" He was looking at me, strangely. Oops.

"Sorry," I said for a second time, "What did you say?"

"I asked how your exam went." He said.

"Oh right, yeah, that... That went... Well, thank you." Ugh, Ellie. "Actually I wanted to say thank you. For the encouragement, beforehand. It was really helpful."

He grinned, his face splitting in glee.

"Yeah, I'm good at advice. Or, at least, that's what the boys tell me anyway," he said.

You're adorable, I thought absentmindedly. Then, focus.

"Who are the boys?" I asked.

"My band mates," he answered, "Andy, Ryan and Adam. Though not always necessarily in that order..." I laughed.

I want to meet them, I thought.

As if reading my mind, Joel then said,

"You should meet them sometime. That is, if you want to."

"Of course, I'd love to!" I replied smiling.

"That's sorted then," he said, also smiling. He never stopped.

"Cool!" I laughed.

We walked down the hallway together in direction of the exit, and I could see Mum in the distance, craning her neck to get a glimpse of the person by my side. I rolled my eyes.

We stopped a little distance away from her, thank God.

Joel suddenly said,

"Give me your hand." Surprised, I offered it to him without question. He whipped out a pen and scribbled something on there.

"Text me when you're free so you can come round, yeah?" I nodded, too stunned to talk. He laughed once more, and I tried as best I could to savour its pleasant sound. And then he was gone, just a figure humming that same tune, his heels kicking the ground.

I glanced down at my hand:

07592833870 :) x

I smiled to myself, and walked over to Mum with a bounce in my step.

"Don't say anything," I warned her before she could start talking. I wanted to bask in this moment of happiness in quiet.

She laughed, and we walked in silence to our car in the car park. As we drove away, I gazed out at the window at the building where I first saw Joel for real. And I longed to see him again.