Chapter Twenty Two - Surveilling -

Alex POV

Juggling two targets at once is a new and challenging thing for me.

Especially when the number one target hits so close to home and I'm having a rough time not focussing all of my attention on him. Might I add that it's fucking difficult keeping that target a secret from your girlfriend? And especially when said girlfriend would froth dangerously at the mouth over it.

Shit, this is tough and it's really taking a toll on me, mentally more than anything else. I can handle my composure on the outer, it's keeping my head straight that's the issue.

Every time that I'm in the same room as Danica, I'm made aware that she knows that something is going on with me, but she's not pushing me on it and more so, she's using her own target as a distraction from me and my problems. I couldn't be more grateful for it. Not that I'll say that out loud, as I know that she's doing it because she is driven by her need to kill. Either way, I won't be announcing this news to her anytime soon.

In the mean time, I've been spending every spare moment trying my damned hardest to get a solid lead on my little brother, who has become the bane of my existence, it seems. After all of these years of not knowing him - and not wanting to know him - somehow he's managed to worm his way back into my life and he's only bound to drag me down with him if I give him the chance. The thing is, he's elusive and incredibly hard to track down. It is becoming clear to me that he is working alone and that no one has a clue where he is and even if they do, they're certainly not telling anyone about him.

Though I am sure that the cops have done the rounds at our parents place since getting some solid vision of Seth, I'm still lead to believe that our parents would have knowledge of his whereabouts, but they'd do everything they can to protect him, regardless of his current choices.

The fact is, I won't be able to come across him without some help. And there lies my main problem. How else can I find him? It looks like my only option is to track him down with assistance from someone in the loop. Which is unwise. I shake my head at myself, it's not an option, I have to rule that idea out too.

I tighten my grip around the steering wheel and think harder. There has to be something else to work off without involving unnecessary sources. I need to keep this from everyone possible, all aside from Dex that is, but I'm not worried about him knowing.

Throwing my car into gear, I decide to cruise the streets, hoping to be struck with an idea. It's beyond annoying, knowing who the culprit is but being unable to reach them to make a difference. To spare lives, ultimately.

The constant reminder to myself that my little brother is behind all of the mysterious deaths isn't helping me get a grip on anything. I need to be given something to push me forward in my search.

I'm wracking my brains, trying to think of where he could be hiding out. With his now very public track record, I know that he wouldn't be stupid enough to stay at any of his mates places either, the cops would have tracked him down by now if that were the case. There has to be somewhere he has gone.

Just thinking of the friends he used to keep takes me back to the way it used to be. How it's always been with him.

When we were kids, Seth always refused to let me in. It sounds ridiculous, me being the older brother and being closed out by my younger brother, but that's how it was. My parents tried for a while at the start to get us to co exist, but eventually gave up as they never wanted to upset their youngest son. For as long as I can remember, he shut me out. Seth had his friends and when it looked like they were up to something fun, I'd try and get in on it, only because I was a young kid and wanted to get into mischief too. But I quickly discovered that Seth would have none of it, he wanted me to keep out of his business. He wouldn't share anything with me, not toys, food or friends, he had a grudge against me from the moment he grew into his own person. I never did know what had caused his hatred of me. But it really doesn't matter now. We're both adults, having made our own life choices and we will have to live with them forever.