Chapter Twenty One - Acting Normal

A/N : So, I did something crrrazzzy and morphed Alexandra Daddario and Adrianne Palicki's faces, I couldn't help myself. Pretty? Or no? Just plain crazy? Ha ha.

Read on....

Broaching the subject of my next chosen target with Alex is kind of freaking me out. My anxiety is getting the better of me and I need to get a handle on myself before anything happens. But I know it has to be done, regardless of my fear of his response.

What if he says no to me?
He's done that before and I know better than to work against his decisions, as that never works out well for me.

I bite on the inside of my cheek, then drag my teeth along the flesh and hear my teeth click quietly against each other, resigned and thinking how best to approach the subject. If only there was a way to bring it up without it sounding like I'm desperate, which I'm not, not yet that is, but I do want this for myself. I let out a silent breath of air, accepting that there's no simple or smart way for this to go, I've just got to say it.

Flicking my sight quickly to Alex beside me on the couch and then away again, I open my mouth to speak when he cuts me off.

"Out with it." He mutters, his sight not leaving the television screen before us.

I choke up momentarily, lick my lips and take a breath in, "I want to start the planning process on the next target." The words fall from my lips quickly, my heart pumps thickly inside my chest as I sit silently and fear his denial of my request, though I hadn't actually questioned the matter, I'd only stated my thoughts out loud.

"Okay." He says, breaking through my constantly running thoughts and I turn my head to stare at him, shocked. "What've you got so far?" At this, he returns my stare, unwavering, carefully watching me and my reactions.

Averting my gaze, I glance instead at my feet, wondering how he knew I'd been working on something already. And why isn't he pissed at me for it? I'm confused, but I refuse to show it, I need to be headstrong and to the point.

But first. Turning my sight back to him, I ask the question out loud. "How'd you know?"

He gives me a look that says, 'really?', then he speaks plainly, "You're an open book to me. I'll always know when something is up with you. And when you act guarded, I know that you're actively working on things. It's as simple as that." He shrugs, brushing off the whole thing like I hadn't gone and looked into it without him knowing. Though, I guess I hadn't exactly been sneaking about if he knew I was up to something.

I furrow my brow, "Okay... Well, I did find someone." I say slowly.

Alex looks at me, very relaxed, not bothered in the slightest. "Of course. Do you have the file with you?" He cuts straight to the chase, surprising me again. There's no frustration in his words, he seems comfortable with what I'm getting at.

I can't shake this overbearing confusion about how he is acting. Slowly and completely uncertainly, I nod, "Yes. I've got it in my bag." But I don't move an inch, remaining firmly seated, waiting.

Alex stares at me, then he widens his eyes a little and nods his head in the direction of our bedroom, "Well, go get it then."

I don't move for a second, still convinced this is a ploy, but when he continues to give me the same serious but assured look, I force myself slowly up and out of my seat, walking to the bedroom with hesitation and a whole world of confusion. Every few seconds my feet slow to let me look over my shoulder at Alex who has again returned his vision to the television, practically unaware of my movements.