Chapter Seventeen - Tormented Musings

I'm not happy about how things went down.
I'm peeved, frustrated and unsettled. It's admittedly more than that, but I'm trying futilely to stomp down my anger at the whole thing.

The kill itself wasn't done badly and it isn't that the kill didn't feel just, because it had every element that it needed to give Miranda the karma filled death she deserved, thanks to Alex's quick thinking, that is.

What felt wrong about it is the fact that I didn't exactly have a hand in it. Aside from pulling all of the facts together to pin her, I hadn't done much else to nab her. Alright, yes, I did plan it meticulously to ensure we found her at work, that way we would be be able to follow her home rather than me having to pull more strings to get that particular information from friends of mine.

Speaking of, I should plan a catch up with Justine soon. She had generously taken time out of her busy schedule to offer me a hefty distraction when I was struggling on my own. She is such a great friend. I smile gently to myself, counting myself lucky to have some great support behind me. I'm not blind to the relationship that has built between us since Alyssa has been out of the picture. Perhaps Alyssa was part of the reason that Justine and I hadn't gotten quite this close beforehand. Alyssa was selfish when it came to me and my time. She wasn't the sharing kind and when it came down to it, she only wanted to do things with me when it suited her. I hadn't exactly seen these qualities in her when we were close. I'd been completely ignorant to them.

I suppress a grunt of annoyance at myself.
My heads a mess. One second I'm thinking about how I felt like I barely had a hand in the kill, then I am thinking about Justine being a good friend and the next second I'm thinking about how shitty of a friend Alyssa was. Though she hadn't always been so terrible to be around or to be friends with. Once upon a time, she was the type of person you wished was your best friend. I don't know how long her killing spree went on for, but it must've been a decent chunk of time and that might've been where everything started to fall to bits between us.

Again, I've lost track of my thoughts, diving shakily backwards into the past, creating more chaos in my already distorted brain. I grumble to myself and force my mind back to the task at hand, trying to keep my thoughts from Alex taking what was mine.

I shut down my erratic train of thought and focus.
Because as I stare down at my desk, sitting prominently before me there is a pile of papers desperate for my attention and if I keep getting sidetracked mentally like this then I'm never going to get through them. I rub my eyes with the balls of my hands forcefully and refocus my sights on work.

The moment doesn't last long, I look up and see that Jane is walking with a purpose towards me and I know it's too late for me to make a run for it so I sit in waiting, dreading what nonsense she has to tell me today.

So, I'm not in the best of moods. Not even close.

"Hey Danica, crazy day huh?" She looks around her, staring at the people hustling around the office, trying to get their work done quicker.

"Hey. Yep, crazy." I respond and smile forcefully.

Jane lifts a hand to her hair and picks up a single strand, twirling it as she begins to speak, "So, I came over because I noticed that you seem kind of distracted today. I thought we might head out of the office for a coffee? Think of it as a breather. What do you think?"

It's not a terrible idea. I guess I could suggest that we wait a little and see if Justine is free too, that way it won't be awkward conversation and perhaps Justine can help me deal with Jane's exhausting personality.

"Sure, sounds great, but do you mind if I see if a friend of mine is free too? Only if that's okay with you."

Jane nods enthusiastically, "Of course! The more the merrier, as they say. I'll be back in a few minutes, give you some time to make a call."