Chapter Thirty Four - Breaking Barriers -

A/N : Song sets the scene, happy reading!

Alex POV

The pressure of losing sight of Seth is too much, so with no further consideration I floor it, shoving my foot down heavily onto the gas pedal and speed after him.

The roar of my engine surrounds me as I barrel after Seth, all the while I'm still stunned that we have met head on so soon after my discovery of his hideout and his dreadful activities. Unfortunately for me, it seems he has found me before I had the chance to find him. I can't help but wonder exactly how that is. The questions are insurmountable, but I can't dwell on them now.

My heart is racing, thumping heavy and wild in my chest, all other senses have departed me, my mind too consumed with the car before me.

Seth takes a hard left ahead of me, just barely making the bend, I follow in his wake, but navigate the corner with a lot more ease, given I hadn't taken the turn so late. Regardless of the fact, my heart still hammers away frantically in my chest, a slight panic building from within.

Several car lengths away, Seth takes another hard left, directing us away from mine and Danica's place and back towards the busier areas of town. I follow suit, the bend a tight squeeze between other vehicles and the edginess of it doesn't help my overall feelings for the circumstances.

Not only that, I also don't know his game plan, but he must have some idea of where he wants to lead me. But I don't consider things too heavily, knowing that it won't matter at the end of this. It'll come down to me against him and he isn't going to win. When I get my hands on him, it'll be the end of this cruel game of his.

When he reaches the first major intersection, he is momentarily halted by some of the remaining peak hour traffic, his brake lights flash several times as he dodges left and right. Though this slight change in traffic doesn't affect him for long, as I watch in amazement as he flies through a red light and weaves dangerously between more vehicles, honks and sudden braking is what is required for others to remain safe and avoid a head on collision.
I press on, still ignoring the clear dangers that involve following him and even though I know it's definitely not the smart thing to do, I continue to follow his lead. But, rather than having to weave as he did, I catch a lucky break in the traffic and I don't have anywhere near as many cars to dodge.

I breathe out heavily when I clear the intersection, my car glides smoothly into the next street, Seth has increased his speed and is now a little further ahead, his bright red tail lights are my focus as I hit the gas again, the speedometer rising quickly as I push my car closer to it's limit. The healthy roar of my engine fills my ears and adrenaline pulses freely through my veins, throwing caution to the wind as I continue on in pursuit of the psycho that is my younger brother.

I don't know my end plan. When I catch him. I don't have any idea what I want to do with him at this stage. All I know is that he needs to be stopped. Turned in to the authorities, or otherwise.

The thought disappears from my mind as Seth takes the next right onto San Gabriel Boulevard, his tires screech noisily around the corner and he just barely misses a parked car. A few seconds later I take the same bend, definitely more prepared for it than Seth had been, as the parked car is nowhere near me as I speed by. Though maybe he deliberately cut it close, the thrill of the moment driving him to get so near to damage. I wouldn't be surprised, either way.

A car backs out of a driveway up ahead, Seth swerves, mere inches from hitting the other car and causing a damaging accident. The other driver has the forethought to brake and wait, looking around to find my car in hot pursuit, I wave absentmindedly as if to say, 'thanks'. Though the more I think of the situation I realise I'm acting maniacally. Any second now and the cops will be on our trail, and how exactly would this be explained if I were to be caught?