:::::Chapter 4:::::

Matt looks at me with disbelief. "Chris, you have to be kidding me! You don't know the name of the Alpha of our neighboring pack?"

"Matt, it's not my fault. There are so many Alphas in the world that it's a hard task to remember all of their names," I defend myself.

Matt addresses Darius, "Why don't you tell her the Alpha's name?"

I look at Darius and find him clueless. "Actually," he starts saying as he scratches his head. "I also don't know his name." A chuckle escapes my mouth while Matt looks at Darius with double amount of disbelief.

"Unbelievable," Matt says as he shakes his head at Darius.

"Now, will you tell me the Alpha's name?" I ask.

"His name is Alarick West. And he is a strong Alpha," Matt says.

"What makes you say that? Is it because he's the Alpha of the strongest pack in the world?"

"No, it's not that, Chris. Trust me; I've seen that guy fight. He can fight an entire army of werewolves," he says and proceeds to ask me, "Do you remember The Battle that we had with the Silver Moonstone Pack?"

"Yes, the battle where my dad died," I reply. Darius' dad also died in that battle.

"The Silver Moonstone attacked us with the intention of taking over our pack. But Alpha Alarick intervened in our fight and it's because of him that we're enjoying our freedom. He saved our pack from getting ruled by a cruel Alpha," Matt says as he recalls the battle.

"He doesn't seem like a savior to me," I mumble to myself but obviously, Matt and Darius hear me due to their werewolf hearing.

"What makes you think that?" asks Matt.

"Have you seen his eyes? They are so cold!"

"He wasn't like that always," Darius says. I look at him, hinting him to explain further. "I heard that he was a cheerful kid," he continues, "but something happened in his childhood that made him who he is now."

"What happened?" I am quick to ask.

"Only the people who are close to him know," he answers. 

Matt, Darius and I continue to sit in silence for a while, thinking what could've happened to Alpha Alarick in his childhood. Now, I have a partial idea about why my mate is cold-hearted. I just don't know the exact reason. Also, I want to know why he refuses to acknowledge me as his mate. For knowing the answer, I will have to talk to him.

●●●●●

It is noon and I already had my lunch. Currently, I am staring back at my reflection in the bathroom mirror. I find no dark circles under my eyes. I'm dressed up to head towards the Dawnfall Depths Pack to talk to Alpha Alarick West. When I enter the living room, I see Matt and Darius sitting lazily on the sofa, watching an action movie. "I'm going out," I say as I reach for the front door.

"Where?" asks Matt as he continues to look at the TV.

"I'll tell you when I'll return back, okay?" If I tell him that I'm going to meet Alpha West then he'll ask me why and I don't want to tell him the reason, not until I have all my questions answered by the heartless Alpha himself.

"Why don't you tell me where you're going? At least, I'll have a place to search for you when you don't return till midnight," he says while playing the guilt card on me.

"Okay, I know you were worried about me when I didn't return to the pack house last night. But Matt, you don't need to worry. I am capable of taking care of myself," I try to assure him.

"Chris, I know that you're capable of taking care of yourself but you should know that I'll always be worried about you. You're my Beta and my friend and I don't want you to get hurt. I care about you." 

Seeing his concern for me, I finally decide to tell him where I'm going. "I'm going to meet Alpha Alarick."

"Why?" I knew Matt would ask this.

"I'll tell you when I'll return," I say, opening the front door and exiting the pack house quickly, not giving Matt the chance to ask any more questions.

But I was wrong. He mind-links me. *When will you return?*

I mind-link him back. *Before evening. If I'll be late, I'll inform you.*

Matt doesn't try to contact me again through mind-link. Mind-Link is an amazing feature that high-ranking werewolves have. We can talk with each other through our minds but only when we are within a contacting range. But mind-link also has its disadvantages. For example, if an Alpha doesn't want to talk to anyone then he can block people's voices from his mind. Whereas, no one will be able to block his voice from their minds.

I continue to walk towards the boundary as I hear the crushing of dry leaves under my feet. I cross the boundary and set foot on the land of Dawnfall Depths Pack. I keep on walking deeper into the forests in hopes of finding the pack houses. I hope I'm on the right path. I take one more step and I'm greeted by the sight of Beta Charles. He comes walking up to me. "Beta Chriselda," he greets me.

"Beta Charles," I nod at him.

"Can I know the reason for you gracing us by your presence in our land?" He grins at me.

I chuckle at the usage of his words. "Nicely put, Beta Charles," I compliment him.

"Thank you." He removes his imaginary hat, bows down and puts his imaginary hat back on his head. I'm little surprised by his cheerful behavior. 

"You weren't this cheerful last night," I say, lifting my eyebrow.

"That was because I didn't know you. I saw you as a possible threat to my pack," he answers.

"And now you know me?"

"Not really," he says, which makes me chuckle. He continues to say, "But you seem to be a trustworthy person."

"I am," I say.

"So, you came here to have a friendly chat with me?" he says wiggling his eyebrows at me.

I laugh. "Not really. I came to talk to your Alpha."

"What do you want to talk to him?" he asks curiously. He must be thinking that why does a Beta of another pack wants to talk to his Alpha.

"That's for him to know," I answer. "Can you lead me to his pack house?" I request.

"Okay." Beta Charles starts leading the way. He has a concentrated look on his face which tells me that he has already informed Alpha Alarick about my arrival through mind-link. The reason why I didn't want Alpha Alarick to know that I'm visiting him is because I didn't want to give him time to prepare himself to face me. But unfortunately, he knows that I'm visiting him.

After walking for a while, a big pack house comes in my view. When we walk near to it, I feel my mate's presence inside the pack house. Beta Charles walks ahead of me as he opens the front door. "After you," he says as he gestures for me to go inside. Beta Charles follows behind me inside. I don't see anyone when I look around. At first, it seems that only me and Beta Charles are in the house. "Alpha is in his study," he tells me as he leads me there.

When we reach in front of the door, Beta opens it and gestures for me to go inside. I thank him and get inside. When I look ahead of me, I see Alpha Alarick standing behind his desk with the same expression of hatred on his face that I saw last night. From behind me, I hear the closing of the door. Beta Charles must've closed the door. I have a feeling that he has even left the pack house by now. Crap. Now, I'm in a room with the cold-hearted Alpha.

"What do you want?" He harshly demands as he crosses his arms.

Author's Note: What do you think will happen next? You'll have to read further to know the answer. :P I want to share something with you. When I was done writing this chapter halfway, I accidentally deleted it. But nonetheless, I managed to write it just the way I wanted it to be. Also, I would like to hear about your views about my writing. :)