:::::Chapter 37:::::

"It will be best if we wait for Kurt's next move."

I turn to him. "Kurt killed my father and I won't sit here idly and wait for him to strike first. I'm going to find him. I'm going to the Silver Moonstone Pack alone and that's final!"

"We're worried about you, Chriselda," Darius says. "What if Kurt just comes out of nowhere and attacks you on your way?"

"So, you doubt my abilities to defend myself?" I ask.

"No, we don't doubt your abilities," Matt cuts in. "But we just don't want you to get hurt."

"I won't get hurt," I try to assure both of my friends.

"If we let you go alone then we will be worried. It would be better for all of us if someone accompanies you. Xavier will go with you to the Silver Moonstone Pack and that's my order," Matt says with finality. I can't even protest since he has ordered me. I guess I have no option other than let Xavier accompany me to the Silver Moonstone Pack.

● ● ● ● ●

After shifting in our wolf form, Xavier and I carry our clothes in our mouths and start running towards the Silver Moonstone Pack. I have been there once with Mr. Hale, Matt and Darius to appoint a new Alpha since their former Alpha, Kurt, was imprisoned for life for attacking my pack and killing many people. Beta Derek Collins is given the responsibility to lead his pack until Kurt's sister, Lucy, becomes ready to take over the Alpha's position. It will the first time that a female will become the Alpha of a pack.

When Xavier and I are on the territory of the Silver Moonstone Pack, we shift back in our human form, wear our clothes and head towards the pack house. I enter the pack house with Xavier following behind me. When Beta Derek sees me, a look of surprise crosses his face. "Hello, Beta Chriselda," he greets me.

"Hello, Beta Derek," I say.

"What brings you here to my pack?" He asks.

"Kurt. By now you must have come to know that your former Alpha has escaped from the prison." He nods his head. I walk closer to him as I say, "I hope you're not helping him by providing him a hide-out in your pack."

"You have a doubt on me?" He asks.

"I always had doubt on you," I say. "Tell me one thing. When Kurt led an attack on my pack, why weren't you by his side?"

"Because I knew what he was doing was wrong," he answers.

"Didn't he order you to help him attack my pack?" I ask.

"No."

"Somehow, I find it hard to believe," I say while scrutinizing him.

"Beta Chriselda, if Kurt would've ordered me to help him attack your pack then I would've been by his side and even you know that," he says. I remain quiet. He continues, "Kurt had told me about his plan of attacking your pack and he had even asked me if I wanted to help him. I had refused immediately and had tried to convince him to not execute his plan but he didn't listen. He was very determined to attack your pack."

"And why was he so determined?"

"I cannot tell you," he says as he avoids my gaze.

"Why?"

"It's something that I don't want to talk about."

"Okay. I won't force you to talk about it," I say. "I hope you won't mind if I look around your pack."

"Why don't you say that you want to search my pack to see whether I'm hiding Kurt or not?" He asks.

"Words don't matter, actions do," I simply say. "C'mon Xavier." We both start searching in the pack, going in every place and in every house. After an hour of searching, only one house is left to search. When I knock on the front door of that house, a woman answers.

"Hello, Beta," she greets me as she senses my Beta power.

"Hello," I greet her. "We're here to search for your former Alpha, Kurt."

She looks at me shockingly. "He's not here."

"Then you won't mind if we search your house," I say as I push her aside and enter her house with Xavier following behind me. All the members of the house come in the living room after hearing the commotion.

"Why would we hide someone who has killed so many people?" Asks one of the members.

"If you are not hiding Kurt in your house then you've got nothing to worry about," I say to all of them. Before I can walk past them to search their house, a familiar face catches my eye. It's the face of an elderly woman. "What are you doing here, Samara?" I ask her.

"I'm not Samara. I'm her elder sister, Tonya," she says.

"Samara didn't tell me that she has an elder sister," I say.

"Beta Chriselda, I think we should search the house," Xavier says to me. I nod at him and we both walk past the people to search the house but not before I hear Tonya sigh in relief.

After searching the house and finding no sign of Kurt, we return to the living room. I walk towards Tonya, "I want to talk to you in private. Let's go outside." After telling Xavier to wait inside the house, I head outside with Tonya following behind me. We walk deeper into the forest until I find a place where I can talk to her without the fear of anyone eavesdropping on our conversation. I turn around to face her. "Would you mind telling me why Samara didn't mention that she has an elder sister?"

Instead of answering, she questions me, "How do you know her?"

"I have met her," I reply. "I have answered your question. Now, answer mine."

"I cannot bring myself to tell you. It's something that I want to forget about," she says while avoiding my gaze. "I still carry the burden of the mistake that I made a few years ago on my shoulders."

"What mistake did you make?"

She hesitates but then decides to speak up, "I made a mistake of telling Kurt that Alpha Alarick's mate belonged to your pack and that's the reason why your pack got attacked."

"I don't understand..." I'm utterly confused right now.

"Kurt wanted revenge," she says. And then it suddenly clicks! I thought that Kurt had attacked my pack because he wanted to rule my pack but I was wrong. I was so wrong. When Kurt had come to know that Alarick's mate belonged to my pack, he led the attack so that he could kill Alarick's mate because he wanted revenge from him. But I can't seem to understand one thing...

"Why would Kurt want revenge from Alarick?" I ask Tonya.

"It's because Alarick killed Kurt's father."