:::::Chapter 46:::::

Matt's Point Of View

The doctor says, "There's wolfsbane in her blood."

Mrs. West and Anne burst into tears but they are not the only one. Everyone present in the room has tears in their eyes because all of us know the inevitable truth that Chriselda is going to die and there's nothing we can do to save her. Charles rushes out of the room in a hurry. He has seen his mate die because of wolfsbane and now, I guess he doesn't want to see his friend die because of the same reason.

My gaze shifts to Alarick, who is kneeling beside the bed. And I'm surprised to see tears in his eyes. "Why are you crying now? You never wanted a mate. Now, your wish is being fulfilled," I tell him.

He looks up at me. "I care about Chriselda," he says.

"Oh, really?" I ask mockingly. "If you really cared about her then you wouldn't have broken your bond with her."

"I never broke our bond," he says.

"What do you mean?" I ask. Before he can answer, Charles returns to the room. He goes to the Doctor and shows him a test tube filled with a colorless liquid.

"I was working on this for a while. I don't know whether this will work or not," Charles says.

"What's this?" asks the Doctor.

"It maybe the cure for wolfsbane," Charles replies.

"I thought that you had stopped working on the cure," Alarick says to him.

"I never stopped working. I was disappointed first but still I carried on with the research," Charles says. Everyone in the room has their eyes set on the serum in the test tube. It's just not a serum. For us, it's hope. If the serum works then we won't have to helplessly watch another wolf die due to wolfsbane. If the serum works, I'll have my friend back.

The Doctor takes out the syringe from his suitcase and fills it with the serum. He takes Chriselda's wrist and injects the serum in her body. All the people present in the room watch anxiously and nervously. We watch Chriselda, waiting for a miracle to happen.

But nothing happens.

Our hope gets crushed as the seconds pass by. The Doctor puts his hand on Chriselda's forehead and says, "I don't know how to say this."

"What?" Alarick asks.

"Her breathing and pulse have returned to normal but..."

"But what?"

"She has slipped into coma."

"But how?" I ask as Alarick is too stunned to ask that question.

"The serum. The intoxication slipped her into coma," the Doctor answers. He continues, "Technically speaking, she is out of danger. She is in a far better state than she was earlier. But I don't know when she'll wake up or whether she will wake up at all. It's all in God's hands now."

"Doctor, if she's out of danger then why isn't her wounds healing?" I ask.

"I cannot say anything at this point because I haven't treated anyone who had wolfsbane in their blood. Usually when a wolf has wolfsbane in their system, they die within an hour or so. But in this case, Chriselda is not dying. Maybe the serum that I injected in her body stalled her dying process. This case has somewhat become like the cases where humans slip into coma. I'll have a monitor set up in this room which will display her heart rate, blood pressure and other vitals. I'll also have the EEG box which will record her brain's electrical activity and a ventilator to provide her oxygen. I'm going to observe her every day for any signs of improvement. That's all I can do for now." After the Doctor finishes speaking, he goes out of the room to arrange for the equipment.

Alarick stands up on his feet. There's fury in his eyes. His whole body is rigid due to rage. "Anne, do you remember where Kurt's men took you?" He asks without even looking at his sister.

"Yes," Anne replies.

"Take me there," he tells her.

Before he can step out of the room, I say to him, "I'm coming with you." It's clear to everyone that Alarick is set out for revenge. He's going to hunt down Kurt and avenge him for putting Chriselda in this condition. Alarick looks at me and nods his head. Charles, Daniel and Darius also decide to come with us. The six of us head out of the pack house in search of Kurt and his men. This time, Alarick won't make the mistake of putting Kurt in the prison.

After a month...

Chriselda's Point Of View

I try to open my eyes but I quickly close them due to the harsh light. When I finally open my eyes, it takes some time to focus on the blurry faces of people surrounding me. When I finally find my focus, I find the concerned faces of Matt, Charles and Darius looking at me. "Hi guys," I say, my voice cracks a little at the end. I realize that there are tubes stuck to my arms. Matt handles me a glass of water and helps me drink it. After taking few sips of water, he keeps the glass back on the bedside table. Just then, a man enters the room with Daniel behind him.

"Hello. I'm Steve, your Doctor. I'm going to ask you a few questions. Answer those questions with the best of your ability, okay?" He asks. I nod my head.

"What's your name?"

"Chriselda Turner."

"What's your age?"

"Nineteen."

"Do you recognize the people present in this room?"

"Yes."

He looks at all the equipment in the room and says, "Your blood pressure and other vitals seem normal. Even your brain activity seems stable."

"What happened to me, Doctor?" I ask.

"You were in a coma, Chriselda," Steve informs me.

"How?"

"What's the last thing that you remember?" He asks.

"I remember fighting with Kurt and his men in the cave. And then, Kurt injected me with something. What was it?" I ask confusingly.

"It was wolfsbane," Steve replies.

"What!" I exclaim in shock. My voice would've been louder if I didn't feel weak. "If Kurt injected me with wolfsbane then how am I alive?"

"Charles was working on a serum for a while. We injected that serum in your body and it worked. We may finally have the cure for wolfsbane but obviously, it needs more working because the serum had made you slip into coma."

"How long was I in coma?"

"A month," Steve says. "While you were in coma, the serum was getting rid of the wolfsbane in your blood. As the amount of wolfsbane kept on reducing, your body started healing itself. You'll be under observation for today. I'll run some tests to find out whether your body is completely free from wolfsbane. If there are no signs of wolfsbane in your blood then you'll be free from all these tubes tomorrow. I'll be back in an hour to run the tests."

When Steve leaves the room, Matt says, "Chris, we were so worried about you. We thought that we had lost you."

"You would have if Charles had stopped working on the cure." I look at Charles. "I'm so proud of you. Even Rebecca must be proud of you." Charles gives me a warm smile.

Rage builds up in me when I think about Kurt. He killed my father. He even tried to kill me. I swear, if he comes across me again, I'm going to make him regret all the evil things he has done in his life. "As soon as my health returns to normal, I'm going to find Kurt and teach him a lesson he will never forget," I say.

"There's no need for that," Matt says.

"Why?"

"Because Kurt is dead."

"What! But how?"

"Alarick killed him."