Chap. 20

“Lolo Jones is here,” dad said, handing me a water.

“How do you know?” I asked, looking around the room.

Kara had already left, unable to prolong her baby-sitter’s services any longer. It was only then it occurred to me that maybe she was romantically interested in me? People call me dense when it comes to girls coming onto me, but I honestly can’t tell. Just like I can’t tell when I’m coming onto girls.

Dad held up his phone. “It’s nice to be Rob Walker sometimes.”

I chuckled and took a sip of my water. “Amen to that.”

“Robert,” a woman’s voice said. I turned to see Lolo Jones standing in front of us.

My breath caught in my throat as my dad laughed and talked with Lolo Jones as if she was an old friend.

“And this is my son, Mason Walker.” I set down my water and extended my hand towards her. “Honor to meet you.”

“I know who you are,” she said, with a smile. She shook my hand. “Mason Walker, star hurdler, right?”

“Nothing like you.”

She chuckled. “Why thank you. Now what did you do to your shoulder?”

“Fell ten feet onto concrete to dislocate it. And then tripped over a hurdle, extended my arm to break my fall, and separated it.”

Her hand flew over her mouth. “You must have the worst luck in the world.”

I chuckled. “It was pretty unlucky.”

She ordered a drink. “Now tell me Mason, are you going out for the Olympics?”

“I’ll find out tomorrow.”

“Did Bill come watch you?”

I nodded. “Did he come watch you?”

“Sure did, he’s the one who advised me to wait until this year to go out for the Olympics.”

“Well he watched me the day before this happened, so I was at my 100%, but better than this.”

“What are you going to do if he advises you to go to the Olympics?”

“Shoot up and go.”

She smiled. “That’s my motto.”

We talked for hours about everything from hurdles to Tim Tebow.

The beeping noise interrupted our conversation, and I realized I’d been drowning myself in water for hours.

“What was that?” Lolo asked, checking her phone.

“That was me,” I answered. I flagged down the bartender and asked for a coke.

“Alright, well I’d better go mingle before my agent kills me,” she said, laughing. “But it was great talking to you. You have an awesome personality, and I can’t wait to see you in London.”

“Looking forward to it.”

She flashed me one last smile before going off to mingle with others.

“Alright, ready to get out of here?” dad asked, making his way over.

“Yeah, I’m exhausted,” I said, leaving my full glass of coke on the counter.

“So did you enjoy tonight?” dad asked, on the car ride home.

“Yeah, definitely. Now are you going to answer any of my questions?”

“I don’t understand why you can’t just accept that I took you out for a good time. Other fathers do it with their sons.”