Chap. 13

“You look like you just ate shit,” Trent commented, as I finished my half-mile.

“I hate this,” I muttered. “I feel like a charity case.”

“You can’t just jump right back into it. You dislocated your shoulder man.”

“Enough talking Trent,” Coach Daniels said, with a snap. “Let’s go.”

I made my way over to Coach Daniels. “So what would you like me to do now?”

“How’re you feeling?”

“Fantastic.”

He raised his eyebrows at me. “Well you can start by losing the attitude, got it?”

“It wasn’t attitude. I feel fantastic.”

He rolled his eyes. “I’m not letting you do hurdles.”

“Well then what would you like me to do?”

“I’d like you go back to your dorm, ice your shoulder, and we’ll try again tomorrow.”

“What else would you like me to do?”

He shook his head. “I should’ve known that was a long shot. Go grab Terrence.”

“Terrence is back?”

Coach Daniels nodded. “It’s his official visit.”

“And what would you-”

“Just go get him Mason.”

“Where is he?”

“Admissions office, he should be here any minute.”

“Can I train with him?”

“I don’t know yet. Just go get him first.”

I walked down to Admissions, grumbling to myself. I hated every second of this stupid injury. I’d never been injured running before. I’ve experienced extreme lows, almost death, but never an injury. But not only was the injury a low blow, but the damn timing. Bill, the Olympic Scout, came in three days.

“Hey,” I called, as Terrence was checking in and receiving his visitor’s pass.

“Hey!” Terrence called, a bright smile on his face.

“Come to train with the team?”

“That’s the plan.”

“I’ve got him,” I said to Marissa. I led Terrence down to the fields, talking to him about today’s practice.

“So are you going to train me again?” Terrence asked, as we reached the fields.

“Not sure.”

“But I thought you were like my Yoda.”

“Your Yoda?”

“Yeah, my mentor dude.”

I rolled my eyes. “Please don’t tell me you’re a Star Wars kid. I was actually kind of starting to maybe like you.”

Terrence chuckled. “I’m not a Star Wars kid. But come on, everyone knows who Yoda is! I mean, you obviously did.”

“Got him,” I said to Coach, who was correcting DeAndre’s take-off stance.

“Go ahead and get him started.”

“Really? Are you sure?”

Coach raised his eyebrows at me. “And you can take one less lap for the attitude.”

Coach never punishes me by raising my laps. He knows that I love to run, so it’s not really a punishment. Instead, he takes one away, and he knows it kills me.