Chap. 31

I stepped out of the ice bath, my body frozen. Today had been the last practice before Qualifiers tomorrow.

This seemed unreal to me. I, Mason Walker, would be in the first round of Qualifiers, in London, for the 2012 Olympics.

I stepped into a pair of gym shorts and a t-shirt. I shook some of the sweat out of my hair before grabbing my bag and heading up to rehab.

“How’s the shoulder?” Norman asked, raising his eyebrows.

“As good as it’ll ever be,” I said, shrugging out of my shirt.

“I see it’s still bruised.”

“I think the bruise has faded a little.”

“Should I bring out the pictures?”

“No, let me live in my happy world for a while.”

He chuckled and I lied down, face first, onto the bed. “Want a massage today?”

“That sounds good to me.”

Norman set up the machine and it began to dig into my shoulder.

“I had to double book today, I hope that’s okay.”

“It’s never okay Norman,” I joked. “You’re supposed to be my trainer.”

The door clicked open.

“Sorry I’m late,” a familiar voice said.

I picked my head up to see Samuel in here. Why’s he in here? He never mentioned an injury.

He didn’t notice me as he sat down on a bed. He extended his right leg out.

“I think you should run some tests on this,” Norman chastised, as he set him up for a massage.

“I will, after the Olympics.”

“You athletes, I swear,” he muttered, descending the machine into her muscles. Samuel grimaced as it began to massage.

I put my head back down and let the machine do its job. It was loosening the muscles around my shoulder, trying to relieve some of the tension, and in turn relieve some of the pain.

I felt my eyes slipping shut, my body exhausted. The massage didn’t really hurt much anymore, it kind of felt good, like it was actually breaking apart my clenched muscles.

“Alright Mason,” Norman said, as the machine released. “How’re we feeling?”

“Good,” I said, sitting up. I rotated it around a little. “Sore, but better.”

“Good, let’s Ultrasound it.”

I nodded and rotated it a few more times, enjoying the feeling of being able to use it for once.

“Mason?” Samuel asked, the color draining from his face.

I’d forgotten he was here. “Dude, what are you doing here?”

“Shin splints, no big deal.”

I raised my eyebrows. “You’re gonna bullshit me right now? Really?”

He sighed. “Norman thinks it’s a stress fracture. But this is the Olympics! I can’t give it all up now.”

“I’m right there with ya man, I know the feeling,” I said, as Norman instructed me to lie back down. “As long as it doesn’t affect your running.”

“I’ve been pushing past the pain for several weeks now, I think I can manage.”

“No more talking,” Norman instructed, as he lathered the gel on my shoulder. “It moves your shoulder.”