Chap. 1

Endurance.

That’s what every coach I’ve ever had has wanted to test. Every coach has run me through sets of exhausting drills and sprints. The only problem? The tests are repeatedly inconclusive. Why? Because there’s a variable that no one can seem to get rid of. My diabetes.

Every endurance test I’ve ever undergone, some voluntary, others not, my blood sugar has given out before my endurance.

And today is no different.

“We will continue to run until Mason gives out,” Coach Daniels called.

It was his favorite form of torture. Because I could continue to run for hours, but most people don’t have the kind of endurance I do. However much that may be. Not even I know my exhaustion point.

I could hear my teammates shouting at me to give in, some threatening. But I knew it was all in fun. We were like brothers, each one having each other’s backs.

The headache had been pounding away for ten minutes. But unlike my Junior Year of high school, I knew my boundaries. In high school, I was willing to push through my diabetes, willing to cast it to the side in order to win. But after my run at Worlds my Junior Year, where I collapsed, it was either learn to control it, or give up running.

Since then, I hadn’t pushed my limits. When my body told me it was enough, I stopped.

Just like now, as the first wave of dizziness hit me. I slowed to a stop and placed my hands on top of my head.

“He’s out,” Trent called, slowing to a stop.

“Nice run boys, I’ll see you back here at 3:30,” Coach Daniels called.

I went over to my track bag and poured some Gatorade down my throat before checking my phone. 8:30 AM. Great, I had 30 minutes to shower and get ready for my first class.

“Mason,” Coach Daniels called, raising his eyebrows at me.

I knew I was in for it. I’d pushed myself today more than I normally dared to, and Coach Daniels was a stickler for “healthy athletes”.

“Hey Coach,” I said, with an easy-going smile.

“I don’t like it when you cut things that close.”

“Sometimes I have to push myself you know. That’s how you build endurance.”

He raised his eyebrows at me. “Oh really?”

I chuckled. “Well, that’s how you impress Olympic Scouts.”

“I don’t see any Olympic Scouts here.”

“They will be.”

“Don’t do it again, get it?”

“Got it.”

“Good. Now get off to class.”

“What’s the deal Mason?” Marissa asked, raising her eyebrows at me.

“I have a lot on my plate right now,” I said, drumming my fingers on the table.

“I require one hour of your time once a week.”

“I understand, but right now is what I’ve been training for my entire life.”

“Do you remember the deal?”

I sighed. “Yes Marissa, I remember the deal.”

“I’m very strict about the rules.”

“Well I’m here now!”