Chap. 11

“Be careful,” Zoe said, wrapping her arms around my neck.

I gave her a quick kiss. “I’m going to be late.”

“Call me when you’re done. Promise?”

“Promise.”

She gave me one last kiss before separating herself from me and going to stand in the doorway. She blew me a kiss and waved as I sped down the street towards her place.

I called my dad as I neared her house, my adrenaline pumping.

“Keep a clear head,” dad ordered, as he picked up the phone. “Don’t yell, don’t accuse, and don’t lose your cool. Understood?”

“Yes sir.”

“I’ve already spoken to Carson and Ethan. I’ve given them the same instructions. Mason, I need you to tell me, with full confidence and honesty, that you’re not high right now.”

I cradled my phone between my shoulder and ear and grabbed Sheila. I waited a few moments, before she flashed a 102.

“I’m good,” I said, placing it back in the cup holder.

“If you feel at any moments that you’re losing control, walk out. Carson and Ethan will understand, and I’ve given them both the same orders. But it’s different with you.”

“I understand.”

“Do whatever you need to do, but keep your anger and sugar in check.”

“Yes sir.”

“And good luck.”

“Thank you.”

“Call me when you’re done.” The line clicked dead.

I pulled into Zoe’s driveway. Ethan’s car was here, but not Carson’s.

I stepped out of my car, and Ethan and Carson stepped out of Ethan’s car.

“Nice carpooling,” I said, chuckling.

“Way to be late,” Carson shot back.

We headed up to Charles’s door, my heart pounding in my chest.

“You’re good, right?” Carson asked, as I rang the doorbell.

I nodded.

“I swear, I just want to punch this piece of shit,” Ethan growled.

“Yeah, it’s not Mason we’re going to have worry about,” Carson said, chuckling.

The door clicked open, and Mr. Baker smiled at the three of us. “Hey boys, what can I do for you?”

“We need to speak with you,” I said.

“Where’s Zoe?”

“We’ll explain everything in a moment,” Carson said, evenly.

“Is she alright?”

“Zoe’s just fine sir,” I said.

“Yeah, other than the fact-” Carson shoved Ethan, and he clamped his mouth shut.

Mr. Baker gave us an odd stare. “Well come on in boys.” He opened the door wider, and we all stepped inside and followed him the living room.

“Can I get you boys anything to eat or drink?” Mr. Baker asked.

I shook my head, along with Ethan and Carson.

“If you don’t mind, we’d like to just hop right to it,” Carson said, evenly.