Chap. 16

“What time are you coming?” Chase asked, his boyish smile filling up the entire video chat.

I chuckled. “I’ll be there around dinnertime. We can go wherever you want for dinner, okay?”

“Yeah, deal!”

I laughed again. “Alright, well I’ve got to get going. But I’ll call mom when I’m on my way.”

“Promise?”

I nodded. “Promise.”

“Okay, I’ll see you tonight.”

“Bye buddy.”

“Bye!”

I clicked off the video chat and made myself a quick breakfast. This morning wasn’t our normal conditioning practice, we were actually going to do hurdles. I could barely contain my excitement.

“Going to class today?” Trevor asked, coming out of his room.

“Yeah, probably. What are you gonna do with the kid?”

“I’m skippin class. Gonna take him to Chuck E. Cheese I think.”

“That’ll be fun.”

“Heard they sell beer there, so you’re right. It’ll be fun.”

I rolled my eyes as my phone buzzed.

“Buzz, buzz, buzz,” Jesse called, racing around the room.

Trevor rolled his eyes. “Go watch TV.”

“Okay!”

I grabbed my phone. I’d received a picture message from Ethan.

It was a picture of a hotel room bed. In the center of the bed were red rose petals, making a heart. The heart was outlined with white rose petals. Across the bottom of the bed, red rose petals spelled out WILL U MARRY ME and a Hello Kitty bride and groom sat off to the right side.

Another text came in. It simply said: she said yes.

I couldn’t help but smile and I immediately called him while slathering peanut butter on my bagel.

“Congratulations,” I called, as he answered the phone.

“Sealed the deal last night,” he said, triumphantly.

“Okay dude, nasty? Did you get the ring?”

“I got the one Cody picked. Sorry dude, you’re just not any good at picking out wedding rings.”

I chuckled. “Nah, I’m just good at getting you to quit your job.”

“You saw that?”

“Who didn’t?”

He laughed. “Dad was pissed. But I gotta do what I gotta do, you know?”

“Yeah, I do know.”

We both laughed again.

“Alright, well she’s gonna get out of the shower any minute, so I gotta jet. But listen, alright? Talk to Carson for me.”

“Tell him what?”

“Just call him, you’ll know when you talk to him.”

“That makes no-” The line clicked dead.

I groaned and dropped my phone on the counter. I hate it when Ethan does that.

“What happened?” Trevor asked, as he made pancake mix for Jesse.

“She said yes.”

“With the ring Cody picked?”

“Was my ring really that bad?”