Chap. 33

“You need to ice,” Norman said, handing me an ice pack for my shoulder. “You’re greatly favoring the right one. It could affect you tonight.”

“No it won’t,” I said, sternly. I lied out on a bench, positioning the ice on my shoulder. “I’m going to need two more ice packs.”

“What for?” Norman demanded.

“Shin splints.”

“I’ll tape,” he promised, hurrying out of the room to find more ice packs.

“Just the right shin needs to be taped,” I called after him. “The left one will live.”

“What are you shouting about?” Caleb asked, walking in. He was sipping on a bottle of water.

“Where’s Samuel?” I asked.

“Just got out of a meeting with the doctors. I’ve been waiting for him too.”

“Make him come in here.”

“Aren’t we snappy today?” Caleb muttered, leaving the locker room.

“Please,” I called.

“Please what?” Norman asked, coming back with two more ice packs and more tape.

“Not you,” I answered, lifting my shins. Norman placed them on the bench, and I lowered my legs onto them, grimacing.

“We should’ve had an ice bath ready for you. I would’ve if I’d known you were so sore.”

“I have to race in less than two hours. That’s not enough time to take an ice bath and rewarm my muscles.”

“True,” he said, shaking his head. “I just hate to see the athletes suffer so much for such a short period of time.”

“That’s what it’s all about,” I answered, placing my cheek on the cool surface of the bench.

“I’m going to go and attend to some other athletes. Holler if you need me.”

“Will do.”

He left, leaving me all alone in the room. I let out a sigh, exhausted, yet still excited for what’s to come.

I heard the crutches coming down the hall, and my head immediately snapped up.

“What’s the verdict?” I asked, as Samuel came crutching into the locker room.

“Surgery,” he answered, grimly. “I need screws and plates and all sorts of bullshit.”

I removed the ice off of my shoulder and sat up, rotating it a little. “So what happens now?”

“I watch you and Caleb in the Olympics.”

It pained me to hear it. I couldn’t imagine the emotions running through Samuel right now.

“Wipe that look off of your face,” he said, with a laugh. “It’s alright.”

“You should be here.”

“I’ve had my time. I have a silver, and I’m proud of it.”

“But next year-”

He shook his head, sitting next to me. “There’ll be no next year. I’m done.”

“Done?”

“It’s too much for me. I’m not naturally gifted like you and Caleb. And this training has really hit me hard. I’m not made to compete at this level of competition.”

I opened my mouth to protest.

“None of that, understand? This is my decision, not yours.”

“But this is the Olympics.”