Chap. 17

“I’m going to need a minute to discuss this,” I said.

She nodded. “Completely understandable. Go home, think about it, get a second opinion, figure out your options.”

“Thanks for everything,” Kelly called.

I stared at the x-rays, biting my bottom lip.

“I think you should go home for the-” Coach Daniels started.

“What did Bill say?” I asked, cutting him off.

“What?”

“Bill, the Olympic Scout? What did he say?”

“I don’t really think that’s the most important issue right now.”

“Coach!”

He sighed. “He said he really likes you, and he’d like to take you to the next level. He said if you can run like that with a dislocated shoulder, he can’t wait to see you at your full potential.”

I slammed my right fist into the desk, bending my head. “Dammit!”

“Why’s that a bad thing?” Kelly asked, looking between the two of us.

“How am I supposed to have surgery with the Olympics around the corner?” I asked, my eyes boring into Kelly’s.

“How are you supposed to compete with a broken shoulder?” Coach Daniels challenged.

The room fell into a tense silence.

“Mason, go home for the weekend, talk about it with your parents,” Kelly said. “We’ll support any decision you make.”

I rode back to the school in Kelly’s car, chewing my bottom lip as I looked out the window.

“I already informed your parents,” Kelly said, as we pulled into the school.

“Thanks,” I said, absent-mindedly.

“Wear the sling,” she ordered.

“Call me,” Coach Daniels said.

I nodded and went up to my dorm room.

“Hey man,” Trevor called, as I walked in the door. “How’s your day…?” His voice trailed off when he saw my face. “What happened?”

“I’m going home for the weekend. I’m sorry, I’m not going to be able to bring Chase up.”

“It’s fine, dude what’s going on?”

“I need surgery on my shoulder.” I went into my room and packed a bag for the weekend.

“Surgery?” Trevor asked from my doorway.

“Yeah, like invasive surgery to fix it? Only of course.” I finished packing my bag and shoved Sheila into my back pocket. “Look, I’ll see you on Monday, alright?”

“Text me,” Trevor called, as I left.

I drove home with the radio off. It started pouring rain, and I couldn’t help but shake my head. Oh the irony.

Mom was waiting for me at the door when Drew took my car. I melted into her arms. No words were needed.

She ushered me into the kitchen where dad was already sitting, a coke in hand.

Dad never came home from work early. The last time he did is when mom’s water broke with Chase, seven years ago. He met her at the hospital.

I grabbed a Diet Coke from the refrigerator and turned to face them.