Chapter 26

Author's note: the story is going to end soon... so I hope you like this chapter because after this one, there will only be one more left.

Fighting her instincts to protect her freedom - Chapter 26

During her conversation with Alpha Rafael, Ariel felt her cell phone vibrating. She didn't pick up, obviously, but once she was at a safe distance, she took it out of her pocket and looked at her missed calls. They were all from Sebastian. She called him.

- Hey Seb, what's up?

- Ariel, I was so scared! I felt your fear and I didn't know why, and then you wouldn't pick up your phone. I was scared!

Ariel sighed. The bonding mark had increased their awareness of each other's feelings. Well, no point in lying then.

- Come by my apartment later tonight after classes. We need to talk.

- I can go for you now if you want.

- No, no. It's not that urgent. Just very important. Look, I can't talk right now. Meet me at 8pm?

- OK. I love you Ace.

- I love you too Seb.

....

At 8pm, Ariel's door bell rang. She let Sebastian in and received a tight hug. She let herself be hugged and kissed for a while, but then, she got serious and explained the situation.

- Alpha Rafael came to the University today.

- What?! Why?

- He's threatening to expel me from his pack if you don't work for him. Apparently, without his protection, I'm dead meat. I got him to give me five weeks. I'll be out of the country before the time is up.

- What? Are you leaving me?

- I don't want you to be forced to work for that man! And I don't want to be at his mercy either. I don't want to leave you, but what other choice is there?

Sebastian was silent. His anger faded and was replaced by deep concentration.

- Even if you go, it won't solve the problem. Anyone I care about is at risk. My family, you, even Francisco. It's fortunate that Raul left the country for a year abroad. He should be safe, at least for now. Patricia and his mate come from powerful families, they should be fine. Alonso has only become your friend recently, if you keep away from him for the time being, he will be alright. Neither you or Patricia have been spending time with Mateo or Mariana recently, that rules them out.

Ariel felt sad at the description of her friendships. What made it worse is that they were accurate. She hadn't been hanging out with Mateo or Mariana since she came back... And now she couldn't even make that right because she had to stay away from them to protect them. And then there was Alonso. He had become such a good friend, the idea of not spending time with him anymore made her sad. However, it was true, being his friend would only put him in danger. She wouldn't be able to live with herself if anything happened to him. She sighed.

- OK, but what are we going to do about your family and Francisco?

- We will have to leave the country. Seek refuge somewhere else where his influence is not high enough. I just don't know where. Six people is a lot.

Ariel kept silent for a while. His old pack wouldn't risk angering Alpha Rafael just to keep Sebastian and Ariel free and safe. She only knew of another Alpha would could help them.

- What about Montreal?

- Canada? Who would help us with the immigration process?

- The Alphas of Montreal. They are very nice and I have the Luna's card. We could try.