Chapter 12

Author's Note: OK, so I went to the beach and aside from walking on the sand and relaxing in the swimming pool, I also wrote several new chapters! I'm excited :-) but of course I will still be reading your comments, if you post them, and advice will always be greatly appreciated.

So, the next chapter will be posted after enough time/readings or vote/comments... which is my way of saying: please vote!! :)

Fighting her instincts to protect her freedom - chapter 12

As soon as they landed in Lima, Ariel felt at home again. Which was weird since she had only been in the country  for some months. They arrived at noon, so Ariel, Claire and Patricia went to the Pack House to see their friends. Ariel just wanted to see Tom. Ana and Maria told her that he was in is studio, that he had been there since the funeral and that he wouldn't come out except when he had meetings with the Alpha. 

Ariel went to knock on his door only to hear his low voice expressing his bad mood. 

- I'm busy!

- Tom, it's me, Ariel. Let me in!

There was a silence for some moments, then Tom's voice was heard again.

- Come in, Ace.

When she entered, she saw Tom behind a desk filled with papers. Even during the digital era, Tom had managed to cover his office with paper: maps, forms, reports, pictures, etc. The sight saddened Ariel.

- Oh Tom!

She went to give him a hug with tears in her eyes.

- Ace, don't cry, I'm just doing my job.

- But this is too much, Tom. Let me help you. Let me do something.

Tom smiled, then offered her a seat after taking away the pile of papers that were on it. The entire office was a mess, how he could find anything, she didn't know.

- Ace, things like these, they happen. And it's my job to offer the Alpha as much information as possible. There are others on the field gathering intel, interviewing witnesses, taking pictures... Everything comes here and I have to sort it out before sending it to Alpha Rafael, so he can have the files in order and complete. It's a team work, and I'm part of the team. I can't just stop working.

- I understand... Maybe I can help? Sorting out the files I mean. I can do that...

- It's confidential information, Ace. It's not that I don't trust you, but that's how the pack works. Anyway, I think I have some time for a little break, why don't I ask Ana to bring us some sandwiches and you can tell me about your trip.

Ariel smiled and agreed quickly. After Ana had given them their sandwiches, Ariel started telling him  about Cuzco and her surprise encounter with Sebastian. Tom smiled, amused by the story.

- It's not funny Tom! He was flirting with another girl!

- Ace, you've been here long enough to know that Peruvians like to be close to each other. Touching someone's arm is not considered a big deal. Girls give kisses on the cheek to all their friends as a greeting. You know this.

- Still, he was enjoying the attention! I know he was!

- OK, so you're convinced he was flirting with her?

- Yes. She's probably his girlfriend. Or maybe they are friends with benefits.. I don't know, but there's something going on!

Just the idea of Sebastian being with another woman was repulsive. She regretted having been eating because at the moment she felt as if she was going to throw up.