Chapter 10

Author's Note: I'm so happy to see the story has been receiving comments and even votes. It really is a lot more motivating to write when you have some feedback.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter, and don't forget to comment, vote or tweet :)

Fighting her instincts to protect her freedom - chapter 10

Ariel kept climbing the stairs trying to stay as calm as possible, but of course that was impossible. Two strong emotions were fighting each other inside her heart. Love and Anger. Those are powerful emotions, specially when there was a wolf inside trying to get out. "Mate!" She kept screaming inside Ariel's mind. And Ariel kept answering the same thing "no, that's the guy who was flirting with another girl". While she was still attracted to him, her anger got the best of her. So when she reached the landing, she stared at the Sebastian and spoke with rage in her voice.

- You're not Tom, so why are you calling me "Ace"?

- Why wouldn't I? According to Roberto, that's how everyone in the "house" refers to you.

Sebastian didn't say "Pack" because they were surrounded by humans, but he evidently was talking about the Pack House.

- What?! Why?!

- Something about Tom giving you that nickname in the kitchen after Ana and Maria laughed at your name. Apparently they prefer the reference to the detergent instead of the one about the Disney mermaid. Go figure.

Maria and Ana, the cooks of the Pack House. How could she had forgotten there had been witnesses and why hadn't she heard about this before? Oh right, she didn't live in the Pack House anymore. Did they talk about her often? She knew the color of her wolf's fur had left them surprised, but there wasn't anything else that could be considered special about her. Although being a recent addition to the pack and a foreigner who had become friends with the Beta was probably enough reason for people to gossip about her. It didn't take much anyway for people to gossip, even if they knew nothing interesting about her. Not yet anyway, and hopefully not ever. She got lost in her thoughts, forgetting for an instant that where she was and who was next to her.

Sebastian used the silence to his advantage, never losing the smile on his face.

- Aren't you going to introduce me to your friends?

She looked around, and sure enough everybody had reached the landing between the first two flights of stairs. Mateo, Mariana and Jorge were breathing heavily, tired due to the lack of oxygen and the exercise. Ariel smiled at them, trying to look composed.

- Of course. Guys, this is Sebastian. Sebastian these are Mateo, Mariana, Jorge, Patricia and Claire.

Everyone said "hello", "nice to meet you" and other pleasantries, while Ariel stared at Sebastian, trying not to launch at him and rip his head off. It didn't help that Claire was batting her eyelashes while shaking his hand. 

Moments later two more people joined the group. One of them happened to be the girl who had been touching Sebastian's arm weeks ago.

- Oh, there you are. Ariel, guys let me introduce you to my friends. This is Melissa and this is Raul. Melissa, Raul, these are Ariel, Mariana, Mateo, Patricia, Claire and Jorge.

Melissa was already clinging to Sebastian's arm. Ariel's eyes glowed with fury. Her wolf was trying to get out, "how dare this woman touch our mate" she kept screaming inside Ariel's mind. In order to control her wolf, she tried to remind herself that they weren't alone and that she didn't want to go to jail for murder.

- Nice to meet you.

Ariel put her fake smile on and excused herself while she headed towards the next flight of stairs. Moments later she felt a hand on her wrist. Tingles let her know who it was without even looking. She didn't want to admit to herself that his touch was enough to make her melt. She reminded herself she was mad and looked at him with anger in her face. He seemed surprised, his eyes questioning her until he spoke.