Fighting her instincts to protect her freedom

Chapter 1 - character introduction

Ariel wasn't your typical she-wolf. While most of her friends daydreamed about finding their mate, she was scared at the prospect. All she really wanted to do was go around the world, experience new cultures, meet exciting people and be free.

Her life wasn't really all that bad; it was just boring. She had lived in the same place since birth and nobody seemed to even consider the possibility that she would want to live their little town, but she did. She didn't want to be tied down to a life she didn't want. She wanted excitment, novelty and adventures, and she was sure she wouldn't get any of those at home.

Her parents often took her dreams of adventures abroad as nothing but teenage fantasies. They were sure that once she met her mate, all of her dreams would be replaced by a longing to for a family and stay in the pack forever.

It was usually at the age of 16 when werewolves found their mate. When Ariel woke up the morning of her sixteenth birthday, she was terrified. She shouldn't have been though. Nothing happened that day or the following two years. Soon, she was bound to start college, and as she had dreamed since infancy, she was accepted in a college abroad. She would be able to experience new things and finally learn more about the world. 

Her parents were heart-broken the day she left, but they couldn't stop her. Fate, it seemed, hadn't given her a reason to stay, and as much as it pained them to see her go, their wish had always been her happiness. So they took her to the airport and waited until her plane took off.

Ever since she was a little girl she had considered her options for college. She wanted to go to a country very different from her own with a rich culture and a decent college program. She had always wanted to become an artist, so she felt that every experience in her life, every new country she would be able to explore, would allow her to be inspired and produce better paintings.

She had decided to go to Peru. It was far away but at the same time, Lima, the capital, was big enough so she was sure that she wouldn’t be bored. Furthermore, she couldn’t wait to visit Cuzco, the Nazca lines and the jungle. She was very excited about the prospect, and even though she knew she would have to obey to the local Alpha’s rules, she was confident she would have a good time. Hopefully the local Alpha would understand her unconventional dreams and let her live her life the way she wanted. Her freedom was her most important possession for her and she would fight anyone who dare threaten it.