Chapter 17 - Visiting Baratie

"Excuse me." I say peaking my head into the kitchen at the Baratie.

"Sorry this area is for staff only." Sanji says walking over towards me. "I'd be happy to help you with anything you need though miss." Sanji says holding a rose out towards me.

"I was hoping to talk to Mr. Zeff." I ask ignoring Sanji's hand that was still holding the rose out to me.

"Give me a second ma'am." Sanji says walking back into the kitchen and I wait patiently for him to return with Zeff.

"So, who's the lady who wants to talk to me?" Zeff asks before looking over at me.

"That would be me sir." I say holding a hand out to Zeff. "Name's Belle and I was hoping to ask a favor of you."

"Zeff if you didn't already know and what favor are we talking about?" Zeff asks shaking my hand.

"I was hoping you would be willing to train me for a year." I ask lowering my hand and both men raise an eyebrow.

"What did you want me to teach you? I'm not planning on getting another apprentice in cooking if that's what you were hoping for." Zeff says.

"No, I was hoping for you to teach me how to fight." I say and the eyebrows get raised again.

"Why do you want a one legged old man to train you how to fight?" Sanji asks confused.

"If this was any other one legged man then I wouldn't even bother but this is Red Legged Zeff who used to sail Paradise. Even with one leg he's got lots of tricks up his sleeve that would allow him to live anywhere except the New World." I say and Zeff's eyebrow raises more.

"That's some interesting terminology your using there Belle." Zeff says confusing Sanji.

"Well I'm not going to keep saying first half of the Grand Line and second half of the Grand Line. That's just too annoying and they actually have names even though they aren't wildly known due to only being used at the end of Paradise and in the New World." I say shrugging.

"So, then you must have been to at least the end of Paradise if not the New World. So why would you need me to train you? You are easily strong enough without my assistance." Zeff says.

"I need a wider variety of skills if I want to protect the things I love from the many people who will want to hurt them." I say and I can see Zeff understands.

"I don't know how much I can teach you in a year but I'll do what I can." Zeff says holding his hand out so we can shake on it.

"You can always make him help since you've been teaching him longer." I say pointing my thumb at Sanji who's been standing there the whole time just quietly and confused about somethings we talked about.

"That's true and while you're here you'll be helping out with the restaurant." Zeff says.

"I was planning on doing that anyway. As long as you're training me I'll work here for free." I say shrugging.

"That's the best deal of the century." Zeff says. "Let's get you settled in and introduced to the rest of the staff. Training starts tomorrow."