The Lone Wolf

"Halloween ball?" Victoria asked Caroline, eyebrow raised. Victoria was laying on her bed, a book propped on her knees, and Caroline was holding a bright orange flyer that advertised a Halloween ball the next day.
    It was, of course, now November, therefore Halloween had already passed, but Eclipse Academy, Eclipse Night Academy, and Eclipse Underworld Academy come together on this night, and also Christmas.
   The Valentines Day dance does not, however, do that.

   "Yeah," Caroline responded. "Perhaps Sebastian will ask you.." She added with a face. Victoria blushed slightly, or as much as a vampire can. She, of course, already knew of this ball, but she had spent so much time with Caroline, Erica, and Molly, she hadn't had time for Sebastian, or even Zach.
   It had only been five days since they found out about James, and still their research was leading them no where. It was very stressful. Plus, Victoria was also trying to catch up with her peers, having not had the education from the start.

   "Maybe.." Victoria answered, her voice an octave higher.
   She thought intantly of bloody tears all over her face while she was on the ground in Sebastian's comforting arms.
   She thought, also, of the memory she saw in the moment in time; a little boy with pale skin and paper-white hair and blood on his wounded neck, crying as he stared down at his dead parents. She felt sadness towards the boy, knowing that it was Sebastian. Sebastian, who never opened up to anybody except her. Who had intense sadness in his eyes, much like a survivor of war. With whom she also shared unknown emotions.
   She shook her head to focus herself back into reality. Caroline had asked her a question.

   "Wah?" Caroline sighed, then asked again.

   "How did the conversation with your father go? You haven't talked about it at all since it happened." She asked.
   Victoria sighed, then set aside her book (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies) and then she sat up, to face Caroline properly.
    She started to explain after a long, tired sigh.

   "Well, I asked about my mother, Martha Grimoire. Zach told me she passed away like three years ago," She felt her eyes begin to sting, and her head began to ache.
   "So I decided to speak with my father and find out what happened and why he wouldn't tell me...He told me she died human..." She said quietly, not looking at Caroline.
   The story did not seem to make sense to Victoria, no matter how much she thought about it, but even still, why would her maybe-father lie? Caroline was listening closely.

  "I guess what happened was they had to abandon me and erase my memory because my mother had done some very bad things (I don't know what though) to a lot of people and they had means to flee. After they fled, my father became the Headmaster, and my mom went off and tried to do her own thing, or whatever
   "I guess what happened was the Council, or whatever the hell they are, caught up to her, and 'arrested' her. They scooped out her eyes and tortured her with the blood of ghouls and dead men, which eventually made her so unvampire-like that her age caught up to her and she turned to dust." Victoria explained.
   She tried to keep emotion out of her thoughts and words, in fear that speaking of her own mother like this, she'd have another breakdown.

   "Damn...I'm sorry, it's none of my business, I shouldn't have asked.." Caroline said sympothetically.
   Victoria just waved her hand, as if to wave off the thought.

   "It's cool. I'm over it, or trying to be. If they really cared, they wouldn't have left me outside of the Realm with the true monsters of the world."
    And with that, the conversation was over.
.....
    Josephine wandered around for days trying to gain direction to the Academy, but eventually came to a part of the woods where a lonely road passed. She was weak of starvation.
   There was a single car pulled over on the left side of the road.