Enemy Encounter

For the next couple days, Victoria watched the news of how she was considered missing on the television in the library. She was even believed to be dead to some reporters. James had a key to the Manor, which was gold, and had pretty gems. He said he received it from a family friend who was in charge of that kind of stuff. 

   Every morning Victoria would wake up, go downstairs, and see James with a ready and delicious-looking breakfast. They were able to enjoy human food, but not as much as they would if they were human. She'd have a glass of blood from the blood bags stashed in the freezer. She would get dressed and go outside if it was cloudy, "How can you stand in the sun, James?" She asked him one sunny morning, as she longed to be out in the open, fresh air.

  "Because I'm special." He'd replied as sarcastically as possible.

   "I want the real answer. I'm almost eighteen. I'm mature, I can surely handle it." She said. He sighed, then held up his right hand. Hs ring finger was wearing a very old, very beautiful, Victorian ring.

   "That keeps you safe from the sun?" She asked she was very surprised. A ing was the last thing she expected.

   "Indeed it does." He answered. After their usual morning, Victoria went to her room to change her clothes. She wasn't too happy about what she had put on right after breakfast. She put on black leather pants, a My Chemical Romance shirt, black wrist gloves, and black high top Converse. She also straightened her hair and put on a ton of wristbands. Victoria was as emo as they came. Her hair had black highlights at the moment, but it wasn't her original color. Her real color was dark brown.

   "That's what really made me confused," James told her, "How did you dye your hair? Like, were you even allowed to?"

   "It was my money that bought it, so they didn't care. It'll go back to brown eventually, but for now it's a little black." They were sitting on the couch, both had their feet up and she was laying on his chest. He had his arms around her. They used to do this when she was young, but only when he read to her, or when she injured herself somehow, or when she had a bad dream. It was nice, exciting even. She had felt something missing as a human. There was one thing that confused her about this moment though, she could hear James' heartbeat. She couldn't feel hers, but she didn't think too much about it, she passed it off as it probably being because she was a Pure Blood.
.....

    After being ready she went back out to the living room, "James? James!" She called. Her voice echoed through the Manor corridors and hallways. She went to go sit on the couch and saw a note.

      'Something important came up. I'll be back tonight. Please stay

                                 safe and out of the sun. -James'

    She wondered what could've come up.

  I can take care of myself for a short time I guess. She thought. She decided she wanted to go exploring if that was the case. When she had lived in the Manor before, she didn't have time to see the entire place. She knew where the basic rooms were, but not the important ones. Then a thought popped into her head -secret passageways.

.....

    She first went to the library. There was a section of books that she wasn't allowed to touch or go near really, but she didn't think too much of it at the time. Now her curiosity was a caged lion, waiting to escape. She pulled out books one by one, each from the "forbidden area". She came to two, thick books. They were classical poetry books, one forest green, the other black. They both had gold patterns on them. They were stuck. She pulled as hard as she could before they finally gave away. That whole section of books on the wall caved in, revealing a tunnel going down. She was just about to step in when she stopped mid-step, "This is too easy." She said. She zoomed over to the desk and grabbed a couple of pens, then zoomed back to the passageway. She threw the pens weakly in through the orifice. Instantly something sprayed a dirty, brown mist.