9

I finally felt strength.

So one night, after Clint had gone back into his house, I tried to stand.

It was hard, my legs were shaking. I felt like a foal just after it was born.

I woke up Napoleon when my hoof slid through the shavings.

He walked over to the window and his ears shot up with surprise "You're standing?" he sounded shocked.

I was so pleased he had such faith in me, note the sarcasm. My legs shook even harder as I stood up completely, I tried to stay upright, but my legs gave out beneath me. Shavings flew a few inches.

"That was a good try!" Napoleon offered.

I gave a loud, disappointed huff of air.

I kept trying though, not sleeping for the rest of that night in favor of getting up and standing for as long as I could.

I distantly heard the barn door being opened, but I ignored it in favor of trying to beat my record of standing the longest.

Napoleon was egging me on.

I heard Clint walk over to the stalls, picking up a scoop of food.

He walked in front of mine and his steps abruptly stopped, "Easy girl, easy... don't push yourself," I heard Clint say as he opened my stall door.

I felt his hand on my neck a few moments later, a small attempt to steady me.

My legs folded under me and I laid back down again, I was breathing a bit heavily and my legs ached.

Clint grabbed my water bucket and dragged it closer to me, I drank a good bit of it.

Napoleon was still looking through the window, "That was still a good try!" he told me, that's what most of his encouragements were when I laid back down.

Clint stayed in my stall for the rest of that day, helping me stand and helping me try to beat my record for the longest time standing.

We destroyed the record many times.