Chapter Three

"The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes...They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb." – Psalm 19:7-8, 10

Maya finished rinsing the shampoo out of her hair and gave it one last squeeze. She then turned the water off and stepped out of the shower, shivering in the sudden cold. After drying and dressing, she wrapped her damp hair in a towel and walked out of the bathroom.

From the living room came her mother's loud chattering. Mrs. Mallory had her phone in one hand and her purse in the other. As soon as she saw Maya, she said, "Just a second," into the phone before turning to her daughter. "Honey, do you mind picking up a few things at the store for me?"

"Um—"

Maya barely had a second to put her two cents' in, as Mrs. Mallory immediately began scribbling items down on a Post-It. "I need milk, crackers, another vegetable tray, and two pounds of ground beef. Check the percentage of fat before you decide which one to get. Oh, and don't forget the lemonade—we ran out this morning."

Maya sighed, but forced herself to smile nonetheless. "Sure thing, Mom." She stuffed the Post-It into her pocket and headed back to the bathroom, where she squeezed out her hair one last time and quickly ran a brush through her brown locks. On her way out the front door, she stuffed her feet into some flip-flops and grabbed the keys hanging on the chain near the door.

"Thanks, hon!" Mrs. Mallory called, flashing her daughter a smile before turning back to her phone conversation.

This time, Maya frowned and sulked into her mother's car. She knew exactly who her mom was talking to, and she didn't like it. Tonight was church, and Mrs. Mallory had promised—after much begging on Maya's part—to join her at the five o'clock service. It looked like one phone call was going to ruin the entire evening.

Maya grumbled to herself as she carefully backed out of the driveway, making sure to steer clear of the large campervan parked by the garage. It was the same camper her dad had used when they went road tripping together years ago—many years ago. That was before her dad got a promotion and started working more. That was before her parents began fighting.

She quickly turned up the radio to drown out her sullen thoughts. The drive to the grocery store only took a few minutes, but with all the stoplights and intersections, it seemed to take much longer. Maya was in a sour mood when she entered the grocery store and methodically collected the items on her mother's list. When she turned down the dairy isle, she suddenly paused upon seeing a familiar brown-haired boy standing in front of the milk.

A small smile crept up on Maya's face. After her leaving her noisy cart at the end of the aisle, she quietly stepped up behind him. She mentally counted to three before saying, "Boo."

He jumped. "Hey!" he screeched, whirling around to face Maya, who doubled over in laughter. "Oh," he sighed, "it's you."

"Sorry Jake," she chuckled. "I just couldn't help myself."

Jake shook his head, a smile lighting up his features. "So what are you doing here?"

Maya pointed to her cart. "Getting groceries, same as you."

"Then why is your hair wet? Did you go for another surf?"

"You ask too many questions," she laughed. "Actually, I just got out of the shower. My mom told me to pick up a few things at the grocery store."