Chapter Twenty-Two

"Promise me...not to awaken love until the time is right." – Song of Solomon 4:7 (NLT)

"Hey Maya! Come check this one out!" Jake yelled through the shop. The owner, who was seated behind the cash register, frowned at Jake before turning his attention back to his magazine.

"How do you like it?" Jake asked when Maya walked over to him. He held up a long-sleeved shirt with a Laguna Beach logo emblazoned across the chest.

Maya pursed her lips. "I don't know."

"Come on, I thought dark pink was your favorite color."

"Actually, it's maroon, which is supposed to be more of a brownish-red."

Jake rolled his eyes. "Okay, okay. I genuinely thought you would like this one, though."

Maya bit her lip and watched as Jake placed the shirt back on the rack. Her eyes lingered on the Laguna Beach logo. The gang had stopped for a quick bathroom break, but Maya and Jake had decided to look for a few souvenirs before piling back into the Volkswagen. Alana was the only one who had stayed in the van.

Maya's heart immediately went out to her friend. "Do you think Alana's okay?" she asked quietly.

"Yeah, why wouldn't she be? She seemed better this morning."

"I don't know. She seems a little...distracted, maybe."

"She's probably still spooked from her accident at Huntington, and a little scared from the Wedge. I'll admit I was pretty scared myself," Jake said. "Come on, let's go check out the next shop, seeing as you're so picky with clothes."

Now it was Maya's turn to roll her eyes. "Alright." She looped her arm through Jake's, but her thoughts were still concentrated on Alana. She hadn't been able to get her best friend alone, and she was aching to talk. She wanted to know if Alana was really, truly okay. Maya knew whatever was on her friend's mind wouldn't blow over in just a single day.

"Let's go in here," Jake said, oblivious to Maya's apprehension.

Maya quickly snapped out of her thoughts and headed inside the store. She quietly wrapped her hand around Jake's. She wanted to make the most of their time alone together and enjoy the moment before it was too late.

When it would be too late, she didn't know. She wanted to have fun while she and Jake were away from the gang, but it was hard not knowing where their relationship was headed. Would the gang accept them as a couple, knowing how deep Maya and Jake's feelings ran for each other? Or would it drive a wedge between their tight-knit group of friends?

It was a question Maya had ran through her head many a time. She didn't know if Jake felt the same way, but it didn't matter. If their relationship was doomed to hit a dead end, why start it in the first place?

The gang was nearing the two-week anniversary of the surfing safari. Twelve days ago they had left C Street, Ventura for County Line Beach. At a glance, it only felt like a couple days, but after Cole thought back on how many places he'd surfed and how much he had changed, it felt he had been on the road for a month. His head span just thinking about how far they had traveled.

The gang planned to make San Onofre—about fifteen miles south from where they were—the turn-around point. By the time they made it to San O, they would be at the two and a half-week mark. Since they didn't want to prolong the surfari to over three weeks, they would only surf a couple spots up the coast on their return trip. Their vacation was officially coming to a close.