Chapter Twenty-Seven

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." – Psalm 147:3

Koa glanced over at Alana in the red-orange glow of the firelight. She took her seat next to the bonfire as if nothing had happened. But the anxiety that was still fluttering in Alana's heart was a clear reminder of everything that had occurred that day—from her moment with Cole to reliving her parents' accident to talking with Koa. That was more emotional stress in one day than she wanted to deal with ever again. She was grateful for Maya's presence as she wrapped her arms around Alana's shoulders, holding her close.

Blaine leaned forward, oblivious to their exchange. "Did you guys see Cole?" he asked.

Koa shook his head. "Nope...never saw him."

"That's weird—he came looking for you and Alana just a couple minutes ago. I wonder where he went."

"I thought he went for a walk," Maya said.

"Well, that's what he said he was doing," Blaine muttered.

Maya stared thoughtfully into the fire.

But Cole didn't show for the rest of the evening. Though the gang waited anxiously for him to arrive, he never came.

Trevor and his friends, armed with flashlights, were ready to lead them back up the dirt trail to Christianitos. They were all exhausted from the day's events, especially Alana, but they opted to wait another ten minutes for Cole anyway. When he didn't show, they finally headed back to the road, slightly worried but none too anxious about their missing group member.

So they were shocked when, after making the long trek to Maya's camper, they saw Cole's Volkswagen had disappeared. "Well, there's your answer," Trevor said. "He must have driven somewhere."

"But he walked all the way back to his van in the dark?" Jake asked.

No one said anything. It seemed like Blaine was the only one who knew what was going on. The rest of them were in the dark—literally. Only Alana had an inkling as to why Cole left, especially after Blaine mentioned that Cole had gone looking for her and Koa.

She shivered and wrapped her towel tighter around her. Koa, upon seeing her goosebumps, suddenly spoke up. "Why don't we stay here for the night?" he suggested. "Let's wait for Cole to come back."

"Yeah, he wouldn't have just ditched us," Maya added. "We'll just sleep in my camper like we always do. Cole will probably show up sometime tonight."

"And what if he doesn't?" Blaine pointed out.

"We're just trying to be optimistic, man," Jake said. "Why would your brother ditch?"

Blaine didn't reply. Alana's fingers twitched nervously. "I think Koa's idea sounds good," she said quietly. "Let's just get some sleep and hope Cole comes back tonight or tomorrow morning."

Trevor glanced at each of their faces, disquieted by their dampened spirits. His gaze flitted from his friends, who were piling into the back of his truck, over to the spot where Cole's Volkswagen used to be parked. "Um, I could be wrong," he said, "but I think your friend left his stuff behind."

Blaine walked over and lifted up one of the backpacks lying on the sidewalk. "Actually, this is our stuff." He began rifling through the various sleeping bags and suitcases strewn across a ten-foot radius. "This is all our stuff that was in the van." He glanced up at his friends with a worried look. "Cole must have left it here on purpose before he drove away."