Chapter Seven

"We love because He first loved us." – 1 John 4:19

Cole pedaled until his calves were burning and his forehead dripped with sweat. He decided to coast the remaining few blocks home as a cool-down. But something caught his attention out of the corner of his eye, and he turned to see a familiar cherry-red sports car parked at the gas station across the street. He lifted a hand to shield his eyes from the sun. Sure enough, it was her—Taylor Rosalind.

Cole quietly crossed the street and coasted to a stop in front of her car. Resting his elbows on the handlebars of his bike, he gave her a half-smile and said, "Hey."

Taylor glanced up, her eyes widening in realization when she saw him. "Hey yourself," she said, a smile creeping up on her face. After returning her gas pump to the machine, she walked over and gave Cole a light peck on the cheek. "So what's new?"

"Nothing, really."

"Mm-hmm. I can see that look on your face."

"What are you talking about?"

Taylor planted her hands on her hips and gave him a look.

"No, really," Cole said, feigning innocence. "What's wrong?"

Realizing she wasn't going to get anything out of him, Taylor stepped closer and wrapped her arms around Cole's waist. "I can tell when something's on your mind," she said.

Cole's insides began to stir. He reminded himself that he carried no obligation towards her.

"Tell me, what's really going on?"

"Nothing." Cole resisted the urge to kiss her, but it was becoming increasingly harder by the second.

"You know, my annual party is coming up soon."

"Which one?"

"The end of summer bash."

"Yeah...about that." He had to force the words out. "I might not be able to make it."

"What?" Taylor pulled away, slightly offended.

"Tay, listen, I know this is your biggest party of the year—"

"Of course it is!"

"I just don't think I'll be able to make it."

The news hit her like a slap in the face. She looked horrified for a second before quickly getting her act back together. "Oh," she said softly, resting her hands on Cole's shoulders.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine." There was an awkward silence, and she almost pulled her hands away. "Why can't you come?"

"It's a long story," Cole admitted. Even though his handlebars were separating them from touching completely, he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. "Trust me."

"That's the problem, Cole. How can I trust you if you never tell me what's going on?"

"Tay..."

"You're going somewhere, aren't you?" she murmured.

"Maybe."

"Where?"

Cole paused, but he figured it would make no difference to tell her the truth. "The gang and I are going down the coast. It's just a quick surf trip."