Chapter Nine

"Wrath is cruel, anger is overwhelming, but who can stand before jealousy?" – Proverbs 27:4

Cole was angry. He had been angry ever since Alana went and dropped the bomb about going on a surfing safari. The idea was tempting, of course—who wouldn't want to surf epic waves while cruising down the California coast?—and Cole was actually buying into the idea until the gang mentioned using his Volkswagen. And that's when it all went downhill.

Earlier that morning, Cole had stormed out of the kitchen after another heated disagreement with his father. Blaine, as usual, had been sucking up to Mr. Anderson about the "awesome" idea of going on Alana's surf trip. Mr. Anderson immediately agreed and said Cole should go as well, so Cole immediately disagreed and said he wasn't going anywhere.

His father had been annoyed, to say the least, and went into a long lecture about why Cole needed to stop thinking about himself and start looking for the needs of others. Mr. Anderson even pulled the church card: "I can't believe you've been going to church your whole life, because it certainly looks like you don't take any of it to heart!"

"Well," Cole had retorted, "maybe that's because I don't."

That's when Cole had stormed out of the kitchen and headed to the one place he knew would calm him down—the beach. He had been tossing rocks into the ocean when he spotted a familiar surfer girl jogging down the steps, a longboard tucked underneath her arm.

His breath caught in his throat. Alana...what was she doing, with hardly any waves in the water? He watched as she exchanged a few words with one of the guys on shore. With her effortless style, she then paddled out and caught the first wave that came her way.

Cole's fascination began bordering on apprehension when one of the guys followed her into the water and struck up a conversation. Cole watched intently as they chatted back and forth on their longboards, waiting for another set. Did Alana know him from somewhere? No; from their actions, it appeared that they had only recently met.

So when the two surfers caught a wave together and the guy placed his hands on Alana's waist, Cole was perplexed. What was he thinking? What was Alana thinking? That was no move to save Alana from wiping out. Cole would know.

Appalled by the stranger's audacity, Cole didn't know why his fingernails were hurting so badly until he glanced down and saw that he was still gripping a rock—and gripping it hard. He frowned and tossed the rock into the ocean before he could do something a little more harmful with it. He took one more glance at the two surfers bobbing up and down in the water before turning around and storming up the stairs. He needed to blow off some steam—and some thoughts that had recently assailed him regarding Alana.

As soon as Alana was dressed and the longboard was safely tucked away in the garage, she settled down at the dining room table to stuff her face with food. She had scarfed her way through a turkey sandwich and an apple before her ringtone suddenly went off. She whipped it out of her back pocket and checked the caller ID.

"Hello?" she asked, her heart pounding in her chest.

"Hey, it's Blaine."

She sucked in a deep breath. "So what's the verdict?"

"Cole still doesn't want to go for whatever reason," Blaine sighed, his exasperation evident even over the phone. "Personally, I think he's still upset over the whole Volkswagen thing."